Chapter Seven

TW's: Mention of sh/ed 

__________________________

Emily checked her watch and it read 3:45 AM meaning it would be exactly 3:45 PM in Quantico, she picked up her phone and stepped out of the room but made sure to not be too far away in case Alvyia needed her. The dial tone rang three times before the line was picked up 

"Emily? Isn't it rather late for you? Is everything okay" 

"Hotch- Yes everything is okay. I wanted to talk to you about something,"

"Sure"

"We just wrapped the last case before my flight home. There is this girl whose name is Alvyia. She is 17. She has no family. Her situation is complicated, much longer than a phone call but I was thinking I could take her home with me." 

"To D.C? Emily you're on the other side of the world it's not like crossing states. Do you remember the last time we had this conversation?" 

Emily did remember in a Denver Colorado police department while she was picking up documents when it just slipped out "I could take her." "Take her?" Hotch had asked, "Carrie. To D.C." Carrie was a girl who was a year or two younger than Alvyia, she had touched her heart. "You mean to live with you?" "Yeah." "Why would you want to do that?" "I have room, money and, you know, she's smart." "Two, three years she will go to college." "Prentiss, this is the job, and I need to know that you can be objective." "And I need to know that I can be human." 

She had been with the BAU for just under a year, still finding her footing and now looking back she wonders if Hotch sensed that, as if he read her mind he says slowly as if sensing her silence and apprehensiveness 

"But Emily when we had that conversation you were still new to the team, if you are sure there is no family and you are able to clear it with the proper authorities, you know what this job is and what it entails. I trust your judgment to make the right decision for the both of you." 

"Thanks, Hotch." 

She could've sworn she could see his little nod of approval through the phone, and with that they hung up. There was not much she could do tonight, she had made up her mind though, she was going to take Alyvia home with her, heading back into the room the agent settled into the chair next to the sleeping teen, she looked so small drowned by the hospital gown, her golden curls held together by a loose hair tie, the nurses had cleaned most of the blood off her face but Emily could spot some dried crimson along her hairline. 

Emily went into the bathroom picking up one of the washcloths by the sink and placed it under warm running water, walking back and kneeling by the sleeping teen she delicately wiped away the blood trying not to wake Alvyia. Quietly heading back to the bathroom she stood still for a minute, she looked into the mirror the water till dripping from the tap Alvyia's blood still draining down the sink. It was in the quiet moments the ones where she stood still by herself for too long did her mind wandered to Doyle, looking down the blood was not Alvyia's but her own, the hand that dug into her shoulder with such strength made her breath hitch, she dropped the washcloth trying to get the invisible hand, an invisible man off of her.  Her breath only slowed once she turned the water as cold as it would go, bringing her back enough to remember she was safe and he was dead. 

Emily walked back to the stiff hospital chair settling in as much as she could, leaning her head back she took the teens cold hand in hers, closed her eyes, and shortly after the exhaustion caught up with her and she had fallen asleep.

Alviya slept through the night for the first time in a long time and she was grateful, it was probably due to all the heavy medication she was under, as her eyes opened she saw the early morning sun filtering through the windows, she could hear the Asian Koel bird, she could smell sandalwood and rose; kinda spicy and warm, Emily was sitting still sleeping in the chair next to her bed, her long black pants and white shirt with her blood dried on the edges remind from yesterday Had she stayed the whole night? Alyvia wondered.