Chapter Sixteen

Happy Birthday Emily! ( Yes is this posted after midnight? but I promise it was written prior :))

Also, I would like to thank @pagetsgreyhair for helping me figure out the love situation for this book! 

TWs: Slight Panic

The plane had begun the descent over DC, they had about 30 minutes before the plane was set to land. Alyvia had slept for seven hours of the flight and she read a book and watched a movie or two. When the captain called for the descent the teen made her way from sitting next to Emily in the booth with Clara to sitting in the singular chair by the window she sat in for take-off.

She hadn't spoken much during the flight, mostly the teen would keep nodding or shaking her head depending on what she wanted to communicate. Due to their flight being a night flight, the plane was set to land in Dulles around 10:00 in the morning,

Emily had to convince a very excited Penelope not to meet them when they landed with a reassurance that within the next few days, she would stop by the office with Alyvia. Emily had planned to just spend the day relaxing back at her new townhouse, oh shoot Emily thought to herself. She had moved out of an apartment building and into a townhouse after coming back from Paris it was finished but still very much in the transition stage between becoming fully a home, she made a mental note that at some point a home decor run or even just unpacking the boxes she had been putting off would need to be taken care of.

Alvyia sat looking out her window, her eyes dancing over Washington, the last time she had been in America she was five and she was there for her Grandmother's work. The teen sucked in a deep breath, too many emotions sat on her chest suffocating any chance of her feeling any emotion at all, she felt silly for still being worked up about this move.

She would have moments when the world felt like nothing had changed, but her arms still covered in now thinner bangages but still bandaged non the less were a constant reminder, she shook her head trying to snap herself out of any more spiraling. Alyvia put on her landing song,(she loved to align a beat drop or a tempo change with the landing of planes) and watched as the plane lowered itself to the ground.

Emily sat across from Clara as the plane touched down, she herself was working through a myriad of emotions, she came back to DC with a child, she was now responsible for the well-being of another human. Emily thought back to all the times she thought she would be a mother and came so close to becoming one but this time it was real, she is now a mother.

Well, a caregiver, She reminded herself before she could set the idea of the title mom into her head. Once they had collected all their luggage the teen and two women disembarked the plane, stepping onto the tarmac Alvyia took a deep breath the air felt different, it smelled different. Air from different places smells different, it's not rocket science but it still hit her in the face bringing a pang of twisted homesickness into her stomach. She gripped onto the straps of her backpack trying to steady herself, Emily led the way to two cars parked in the small lot right outside the terminal.

Clara went to one car where a man sat inside and Emily went to the other car where there was no one inside, Emily opened the trunk and put her bag into it, Alyvia followed suit placing her duffle and the box of valuables inside. The man in the car looked familiar to Alyvia, she knew she had met him before but could not place his name

"I'm Jack, we might have met in Singapore. I am not sure, regardless I'm pleased to meet you. I've heard nothing but great things."

He did not reach out for a handshake and Alyvia was grateful, being in the presence of a man since everything happened in the way it did she could already feel her skin crawling with a subtle prickling. Exhausted from the flight the teen nodded and smiled instead,