10. LN

(I'm feeling generous so here you go.)

"You never wanted to join the army. You're tired of the lifestyle. Or, because your father is a colonel, you feel you may act out however you want."

"Sir, no!"

"No?"

"I mean... it's just... I don't mean to cause any trouble. I'm not sure what is happening. I tend to be well behaved. I'm not sure why I'm getting into so much trouble."

Ghost sighed and stood up, walked around and sat on the desk next to me with crossed arms.

He stared down at me and I fiddled with my pants leg nervously.

He seemed to study my face until there was a knock on the door.

"Come in." He looked up and away from me.

"Sir. Do you need anything else from Private Amber?" Soap opened the door and Jay glanced at me.

"No. She may go to dinner. Private LN will join her in a few minutes."

"Yes sir." He closed the door and I heard them walk away.

"LN." I looked back at Ghost who went back to studying me.

"Yes sir?"

"Don't get into anymore fights. Just because someone makes fun of you doesn't give you an excuse to get physical."

"I apologize. May I explain myself?"

"Proceed."

"Private Amber and I were talking about the exercise earlier that day and they both came in making fun of me..."

I paused, realizing that Jay had made fun of them back, so that might not be the best thing to say.

"Jay told them to stop and they got upset. We exchanged some words and they got physical. We only fought back in self defense. We tried to leave."

I tried to leave and pull Jay with me, but he doesn't have to know that Jay wanted to fight.

Ghost sighed and moved his crossed arms to hold the edge of the desk.

"Private Em and her friend made it sound like you two started it. Both the sergeants were here to read their body language and called their bluffs."

I nodded.

"I don't wanna see you in my office again, understood?"

"Yes sir. I won't get in trouble again."

"I have a feeling that's a lie."

"I'll do my best."

"You better. The way you speak of him, I don't think your father will be happy if you get kicked out of the military."

"Absolutely not sir."

"Tell me, has your family fought in any major wars?"

"Let's see... World War One, World War Two, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the war in Iraq... and I think my uncle was in the war in Afghanistan."

"Impressive."

I glanced away.

"Thank you, sir. Sir, may I ask a question? A personal question?"

"Hmm... don't make it to personal."

"Did you always know that you wanted to be in the army?" I asked.

"Hmm...I use to be a butcher. After 9/11, I joined the military."

"A butcher?"

"Yes."

"That's... cool." I smiled.

"You think so?"

"I do. Sounds fun. Messy but fun."