Chapter 4

"How is my sister's taking to being Lady General? We have both been so busy, and I have heard little about her new position."

Ignoring the Great Lord's question, as it was not directed at her, Wrell gripped the reins with leather-gloved fingers, her mare fighting the firm hold, neck curving and feet tossing up dust. Their small entourage had been traveling at a decent pace for the better part of the day, numerous attempts at conversation from various people filling the hours, but Resi was bred for endurance and speed and right now wanted to run.

"It is not the same without you, my lord," Odair said, inclining his head. Both he and the Great Lord seemed oblivious to Resi's antics. "She is a capable leader, though many of the officers think her quite young."

"She is but three years younger than I."

Odair's shoulders lifted in a shrug. "She takes it well, though." He looked back over his shoulder at Wrell. "I have heard she even served with Draekon in the cavalry for a few weeks before switching to infantry." When Wrell did not respond, he turned back. "Regardless, my lord, the Lady General has been raised in the line of succession and served as your second for many years. Of course she has the knowledge and skills to lead and lead well. And now she must lead Quelle in your absence."

Resi lunged forward despite Wrell's hold, startling the two horses ahead. They did not bolt, halting instead and dancing in place, their hooves churning up the dirt. Resi skittered sideways, bumping into the Great Lord's horse. Heads turned toward Wrell, and she tried to ignore their stares, focusing on getting Resi under control. The mountains of Quelle were long past, mere rises in the distance behind them, and the open fields ahead were just too tempting for a Blaimoth born to run.

Light from the setting sun flashed in Wrell's eyes as Jurion spoke from atop his Blairmoth mare. "She is eager to go today."

"She is eager to go everyday, I should think," Commander Odair said. "A fine horse you have, Draekon. What I would give to get my hands on a Blairmoth."

"Perhaps you should have joined the cavalry, Commander." Jurion nudged his own Blairmoth, who was abnormally calm for her kind, forward. "Or become Great Lord."

Wrell placed a hand on Resi's neck, her touch stilling the quivering muscles, but the bloodbind focused the majority of her attention on the man riding beside her. She could feel hints of his exhaustion, his worry, his stress, though he hid it well. He had left Eira in charge of Quelle, with Malius to provide guidance as he was able, and she could tell he was concerned for them though he did not speak it. Jurion's first few weeks as Great Lord had been busy ones. She had been there as he dealt with the council of lesser lords and the court of lesser ladies, interacted with the people, been overwhelmed by the duties set before him. The bloodbind made her keen to his emotions and overall well-being, but she still felt like she hardly knew him. Perhaps it was her own fault; she kept a distance between them despite his attempts to cultivate a friendship.

Jurion gestured to the glowing golden fields ahead. "Shall we?" he asked. "We can run them until they are tired, then stop for the night." He nodded at Odair's mount. "The rest of you likely won't be able to keep up."

"My lord," the commander said, "it would be safer if we stayed together."

"Maybe so," Jurion agreed. "However, the borderlands are usually empty. It's unlikely we'll encounter any trouble." He caught Wrell's eye. "Ready?"

She let half a hansa of leather slide through her fingers. That was all Resi needed. They surged forward, the power and energy in that moment sending a thrill through both horse and rider. The grass flew by in a blur, Resi's mane whipping in Wrell's face and hoofbeats like the beat of her heart in their endless chase of the setting sun. A smile pulled at her lips, and no matter how much she fought it because it didn't feel right, she could not stop it from spreading. A glance over at Jurion told her he had seen it, and he was smiling too, his horse easily keeping pace with Resi.