Chapter 12

"Shall I arrange a ceremony, General?"

Aelider let the stack of imperial documents fall to the desk. "The empress has stated that Minister Agripa will not be given the privilege of a funeral, Minister Yervin. Let him have the honor of burial and his family's survival, and nothing more."

"Of course." Yervin inclined his head, his mouth set grimly. His robes hung about him, the dark color making his face appear even paler. The death of Unus Agripa had shaken many, especially the imperial ministers. Agripa's replacement had been appointed not five hours after his death, a reminder that their hold on their positions was tenuous at best.

"Is there anything else?" Aelider asked, straightening the stack of papers. So much to do, and he was only a general and advisor. At times he felt like Nadeina's steward.

"That was all, General." Yervin bowed, angling to leave.

"Something is wrong." Aelider did not know Yervin well, but he was familiar with the man enough to know that the wide-eyed look on his face was genuine.

Yervin stopped. Turned back. "Pardon?"

"What bothers you? Agripa's death? You should know by now that the empress has no tolerance for fools."

The minister's throat bobbed. "Yes, of course. Good day, General Aelider."

Aelider watched him go. He could hardly blame the man for being nervous; everyone seemed to be on edge right now. It would fade soon, though. Next week at the most. By now the things Nadeina did were becoming just another part of her rule. They were all learning to accept it, take it as a reminder to be competent and loyal, and move on.

After speaking with a few imperial officials and taking care of other business, Aelider headed to find Nadeina. It was late afternoon, and while she was not at her usual place on her balcony, he learned she was taking advantage of the weather and having dinner with Quelle's Great Lord in the formal dining room. He made his way quickly, passing by the guards with a nod.

The expansive dining room was open to the air but still covered, the ceiling supported by a row of carved white columns situated several strides from either side of the table. The floor, inlaid with marble tiles, shone bright in the sun. Dressed in light robes the color of sand, Nadeina sat at the table across from the Great Lord, an assortment of food spread out before them. Many of the delicacies on the silver platters were ones Nadeina had no taste for; Aelider would guess they were there more for a grand display of wealth and prosperity than the personal likes of either party. The Great Lord had hardly touched his food.

Aelider bowed, catching sight of Wrell Draekon standing by one of the columns. "Forgive my interruption, Empress. I had not realized you were to dine this early."

"No matter. We are nearly finished."

"I thought you would like to know that the Minister of Justice's arrangements are being taken care of. The new Minister of Justice is settling in and will soon come to pay his respects."

Her lips twitched at the mention of Agripa. "Very good." She jutted her chin toward the table. "Would you care to join us, General?"

"Actually," said the Great Lord, pushing up from his chair, "I have some business with my people to take care of, so I cannot stay much longer." He managed a quick bow to Nadeina and a nod to Aelider. "The food was excellent. My compliments to the cook."

"Shall I send a guard to escort you back, my lord?" Aelider asked, keeping his voice even. He wasn't sure how to react to the Great Lord's rather hurried and obvious desire to leave.

The answer was barely polite, close to curt. "I think I can find our way well enough. If you'll excuse me, Empress."

He left with his guard behind him, their shadows crossing the walls and columns of the dining room. When their footsteps had faded and Aelider knew they were long gone, Nadeina breathed a sigh.