Chapter 30

"What were you doing with the empress?" Jurion asked, glancing at Wrell walking beside him. She had been clearly mortified when she realized whom she had hit with those letters, and he could tell she was also embarrassed by her show of emotion. When had she ever been so open with him, besides after the chase in the Great Wood? Even then she had remained relatively tight-lipped about her past, stating the facts without the hurt and anger and honesty he had seen today.

Whoever this Velo was . . . If Jurion ever came across the man, he was not sure he would be able to act in a manner fitting of a Great Lord.

"She invited me on a ride, my lord." Once again she was the restrained bloodbound servant he had known for so long.

"A ride?" What was his betrothed doing? Nadeina taking the initiative to spend time with Wrell, of all people, was unexpected. He would have thought General Aelider had discouraged her from associating with her future husband's bloodbound servant. And she was still recovering from her arrow wound too . . .

"I do not know what she is attempting to do, my lord, but the Lord Father believes she is searching . . . for a friend."

Jurion rubbed the back of his neck, spotting the guards up ahead, standing in front of the last block of stalls. "That is . . . not what I expected." These small glimpses of humanity he saw in her-it was frightening, in a way. To think that he might see her as anything other than a prospective enemy. Given time, could he love her? Was she capable of loving him in return?

"I saw your father this morning, Great Lord," Wrell said. "His physician believes his illness is worsening."

He let his eyes close for a fleeting moment as he processed what she said.

First Eira's news from the border, and now this.

I cannot lose him too.

He needed to speak with Nadeina, and then he would visit his father. As much as he loved his father, he knew Malius would want him to put the safety of the realm first, and Jurion needed to confront Nadeina about the assassination of the Reman emperor's daughter.

Three years. The child had only lived three years.

He had too many things on his mind.

The guards accompanied them to find Nadeina, who had gone with Captain Nirsan to the small training field within the estate walls. A few soldiers lingered nearby. The empress's tall, elegant form leaned against the fence, Captain Nirsan's petite figure beside her. Nadeina was wearing the fur-lined cloak he had given her, her faithful hounds sitting nearby. Jurion would have thought she would be inside, as she did not seem to like the cold, but she appeared to be deep in conversation with the captain, heedless of the weather.

She noticed Jurion and Wrell, turning to meet them. "Lord Jurion. It has been a while since I have seen you."

He bowed. "My lady. Forgive me for not visiting; I have been very busy of late."

"I heard about your adventure last night. It is good you and Wrell came out unharmed." If she was jealous of the fact that he had been with Wrell and not her, she did not show it.

"Yes, we were very fortunate. If you are not busy, Nadeina, I would like to speak to you privately."

She raised a brow. "Of course."

He gestured toward the house, noticing that her cheeks were flushed from the cold. "Shall we walk?"

She agreed, and they set off toward the house, Wrell and Captain Nirsan and the rest of their guards following behind them, far enough to give them some privacy but close enough to deal with any potential threats.