Chapter 9

Once again, they found themselves saying their goodbyes and traveling to Sardin. The pace was slower this time, with the Great Lord's entourage consisting of soldiers, a physician, Lesser Lord Fiern Talo, and, of course, Wrell.

"This will be my first time setting foot inside Empire territory," Lord Talo said. "I did not think this would ever happen, except in the case of war." He rode beside Jurion, his easy posture speaking of years spent in the saddle. Jurion had selected Talo to accompany him to Sardin as his advisor and representative of the lesser lords due to the man's calm, practical nature and diplomatic background as a former ambassador.

"Let us be glad it is not war," Jurion said. "Marriage is a far better option than war, I should think."

Is it, though? that voice in his head asked. A small part of him still stubbornly clung to doubt. Marriage might save Quelle, but was it a permanent solution? How long would it take for the Empire's practices to corrupt his beloved realm? To corrupt him?

"War is something to be avoided as much as possible," Talo said. "That is what separates us from the Empire, my lord. Quelle may have a strong military, but we seek peace where we can find it, and war only when necessary."

"You are wise, Lord Talo. Perhaps I should have left you to advise my sister."

"Worry not about your sister, my lord. She is a capable leader and will manage Quelle well in your absence."

"Mm, yes. Perhaps we should have made her ascend instead."

Talo smiled. "The Lady General is content with her current title, I think. She did not seem pleased about having to abandon her duties for yours."

"She will get used to it. I do not know what the future will bring, but I suspect I will be away from home for quite a while."

Talo peered at him then, his expression sympathetic. "We will take things day by day, my lord. If you are struggling, please do not endure it alone. A Great Lord may be a leader, but he is still just a man."

From the corner of his eye, Jurion glanced at Wrell riding somewhere behind them, reminded of Eira and Malius's plea. Neither Jurion nor Wrell had spoken of that day in his father's chamber when Wrell had made that promise. Jurion was too embarrassed to mention it, and Wrell was as quiet and restrained as ever. With so many to tend to the Jurion's needs, their interactions had been few lately.

For several more days and nights they rode, the climate morphing to the dry and hot plains and desert. When they arrived at the borderlands, passed the Quellen patrols, and finally reached the edge of Viannic territory, Jurion drew his horse to a halt. Issar stamped her foot, tail swishing, and tossed her head, as if telling him to cease being so dramatic and get on with it. He felt a smile pull at his lips. Blairmoths and their typical impatience.

His smile vanishing, he turned in the saddle to address the group. Their eyes were on him, their faces haggard from the journey and a touch apprehensive as well. He did not blame them for their reluctance to set foot inside Viannic territory.

Remember why you are here.

He forced his voice to be steady. "Our journey is almost over. Let us ride hard so we may rest once we reach Sardin." His fingers tightened and loosened around the reins, a wave of anxiety washing over him. Do not let it show. "You all do me a great honor in joining me."

"The honor is ours, Great Lord," was the solemn, unanimous reply.

The customary exchange comforted him, gave him the strength to continue on with confidence. He faced forward and spurred Issar onward. Their Viannic escort met them not much later, both soldiers and horses decked in ceremonial garb. Dark blue and gold were their colors, their fabrics light and airy compared to the black and brown Quellen leathers that could be stifling in this heat.