Chapter 15

Jurion was unsure what to think of the woman who led them through the streets with their Viannic escort. Her apparent ease with their surroundings indicated a confidence in who she was and a knowledge of where they were going. It was comforting, in a way. The situation she had rescued them from had alarmed him more than he cared to admit. He had been foolish to wander off without waiting for a guard, and even more foolish to make Wrell come searching for him. Though her presence did not repulse nor disturb him, plenty others were bothered, and they had reaped the consequences of that fear far too often in their time here.

"You are far from the palace, Great Lord," Captain Pereza said, her comment a veiled question. "How fortunate that I alerted the soldiers." She cast them an appraising look. "It is not safe to wander through the Reman quarter of Sardin."

"Reman quarter?" Jurion echoed.

"That area of the city is populated by many Reman immigrants. They may not be in their old territory anymore, but they are still Reman at heart. And Remans despise that." She jutted her chin at Wrell, then flashed a smile. "I have nothing against you, my dear—where I am from, scars matter not. I cannot explain the Reman mind. Their foolish superstitions are perplexing enough. And they're not the only ones."

She gestured ahead. "Would you like to take the scenic route, Great Lord? There is a path that is quite pretty if you were wanting to see the city."

Jurion agreed, the fact that they were surrounded by Viannic soldiers curbing his initial hesitation. He may not know this Pereza, but the soldiers would not dare face the wrath of their empress by neglecting her future consort. Besides, the captain seemed like an interesting woman, and trustworthy enough.

She led them along a sloped, white stone path, winding upwards until the roofs of the buildings became visible and the ships and people at the port like toy figures. There were few people on the path, and the soldiers were an effective deterrent for any who may wish to approach.

"I appreciate you letting us take some of your time, Captain," Jurion said. "I'm sure you were busy."

She waved it off. "It is an honor to serve you, Great Lord. Besides, I was headed for the palace myself."

"You do business at the palace?" She was a ship's captain, but beyond that, he knew little. She had not spoken much about herself except for her love of the sea.

"Yes, I am acquainted with some people there." Pereza motioned for the soldiers to slow and showed Jurion into a small balcony-like extension of the wall. "This has one of the best views of the city, save for the palace."

"Sardin is a lively city," Jurion said. "Its size feels greater than Quelle itself."

"Sardin is the center of Empire trade. We see all kinds of people, all sorts of culture. And with it all manners of lust, mistrust, and greed." The captain closed her eyes and breathed in. "Right by the sea." She cracked an eye open. "Are you an admirer of the sea, Great Lord?"

"I have not been exposed to it enough to know, I'm afraid."

"Just as well. I've spent most of my life on the water. But I always return to Sardin. We love what we know, I suppose." Pereza pulled back, her attention alighting on Wrell standing unobtrusively by the wall. "You have been quiet, little guard. You were not hurt by the mob, were you?"

Though Wrell shook her head, Jurion still felt bad. First she'd been run over by that man at the harbor, and then nearly trampled by Reman immigrants. And all on her day off.

"You might want to think about replacing your guard, Great Lord," Pereza said, "for her sake, and also yours. Sardin is not a welcoming place for the poor dear."