Chapter 25

Jurion was enjoying the crisp air and the view of the mountains when Eira rejoined their group. He and his entourage of guards, officials, and attendants stood to the side, the crowd around them thinning as riders prepared to give a short performance on the field. He scanned the moving mass of brown and black leathers, fur lining, and dark cloaks, attempting to find the four of their party who had competed in the paired mounted archery event.

Eira marched toward them, the empress, escorted by her guards and Captain Nirsan, just behind. Jurion extended the cloak he'd held for her during the event, and she snatched it from his hand, obviously bothered by her and Nadeina's loss, though she did well at hiding it. He knew her too well to be fooled. "Thought you might win?"

Eira scoffed. "We could hardly do so when Wrell and Captain Nirsan were paired together. Did you see how well they performed?"

"Were you not the one to suggest the pairings? Did you not know they were both so skilled?" He hadn't known, after all. He'd known Wrell was competent enough with a sword, but her archery abilities had caught him off guard.

Eira shot him a glare, then countered it with a grin, leaning in and grabbing his arm conspiratorially. "I only sought to improve my acquaintance with your betrothed, dear lord-brother. Shared struggles such as a battle tends to bring closer bonds, and I hoped a competition would suffice."

"Did it?"

She grimaced and kept her voice low. "I still do not like her."

"I cannot do anything about that, Eira."

"Unfortunately. And I am not alone in my opinions." She nudged his shoulder. "Though I suppose you know that already."

"I know it well."

She sighed, softening even more. "You are only doing what you feel is best for the realm. You are doing well, lord-brother. I know this is not easy for you."

He tried to garner some sort of reassurance from Eira's words as she released him and went to speak with someone else, but he could not shake the heaviness that her reminders had brought. No one was thrilled about the agreement with the Viannic Empire or the empress's presence in Quelle right now. The lesser lords had drilled him with questions at last night's meeting, their concerns and arguments falling on weary ears. Politics had never been something he enjoyed, nor was he particularly good at it. Gaelin had been far better at managing his inner circle of lesser lords.

Jurion searched the crowd for Nadeina and Wrell, both of whom seemed to have disappeared after the archery event ended. He spotted Nadeina speaking with Aelider and Cicerus, flanked by their soldiers. Despite their loss to Wrell and Capatin Nirsan, the empress and Eira had done well in the event. Jurion had already tasted Nadeina's swordsmanship skills; he supposed it was only natural that she excelled in archery as well.

He found Wrell still near the line of horses attended to by the grooms. An older woman was there, speaking with Wrell. Jurion recognized her as Lady Killas. Her husband was on one of the lower councils, and Jurion had been acquainted with both only briefly. Why the lady spoke to Wrell, though, Jurion did not know. His bloodbound servant's usual stoicness seemed . . . off-balance as she spoke to Lady Killas. Jurion could not remember the last time he had seen such a conflicted expression on her face. The two women were standing quite close, and the lady held to Wrell's arm as if she were a dear friend or relative.

But he should not be staring. Jurion turned and found his path accidentally blocked by Captain Nirsan, who seemed to be watching Wrell with a look that was both wistful and sad.

"Great Lord." She moved out of the way.

"Captain Nirsan." He glanced over his shoulder to where the older woman continued to speak to Wrell, then back to Nirsan. There was a familiarity between those two that was more than just a passing acquaintance-as if they had once been great friends. Their success in today's event was proof enough of their ability to work together. It was as if they could anticipate each other's actions before they had even started them.