Chapter 23

The next morning Jurion met Nadeina in the courtyard along with their entourage. As usual, Wrell was present and attentive, and they had a menagerie of Quellen and Viannic soldiers and officials surrounding them as well. Lord Talo joined them again, making conversation with the two Viannic generals, one appearing more less-than-thrilled than the other. General Aelider could be polite, but it was no secret that he was not enjoying his time in Quelle. He seemed to look at every person as if they were witches of the blood magic he seemed to fear so much.

Jurion inclined his head toward the empress as she approached, offering her a fur-lined cloak that the estate's tailor had suggested he present. "I hope you slept well?"

She allowed him to slip the cloak over her shoulders with a nod of acknowledgement, apparently eager to skip the pleasantries. "The weather is quite cold-is it usual for festivities to occur in these temperatures?"

"Quite normal, Empress. It is actually rather warm compared to this time last year."

Her eyebrows rose, but she said nothing. He was no more eager to spend the day with her than she was to spend hers with him, but at least they could be civil. Once again, the realization that he was marrying Nadeina Vian sat deep in his gut like a block of ice that refused to thaw. How could it, when there was nothing about this woman that could warm him?

"Come," Jurion said, offering his arm. He would fake feeling if he had to. "Let me show you my home." For that was what it was, despite all those years away.

Followed by their entourage, she began to walk with him, mildly interested in the bustle of the city, impervious to the looks she received from the people. Since she was with him, they showed her proper respect, though they were wary and possibly frightened. But he knew behind closed doors they shook their heads at this upcoming union. They wanted a true Great Lady, one of their own, one they loved or could grow to love. And Jurion was not sure Nadeina was someone whom they could love.

"Are many cities in Quelle like this?" Nadeina asked. "So . . . quaint?" She stepped to the side to avoid being bumped into by a cart. The cart's owner hastily apologized, moving out of the way and giving Jurion a warm greeting before heading down the road.

"Some, yes. But Black Vale has always been special in my eyes." What Jurion loved about Black Vale was his ability to be immersed in it. He could walk the streets here with only a small escort, speak with the people as they went about their daily tasks. No pomp and clamor like he would face in Sardin. If there was any relief about his appointment to Great Lord, it was the lack of strict formality that came with the position.

Nadeina shortened her strides to accommodate Jurion's slow amble. "I had heard many stories of Quellens being as cold and unbending as their winters."

"Quelle is a land of hardworking, honest people. Loyal. We take care of our own, but at times we may come across as stiff and private to other nations." He took in the sight of his city, the faces of his people, and spoke, this time more deliberately. "Things are . . . different here. You will have to find a way to thaw their hearts for them to accept you as Great Lady."

She did not ask about how she might go about doing that, but judging by her raised eyebrows, she was somewhat receptive to the idea.

They continued to walk through the city, stopping to buy everyone sweet rolls, one of Jurion's favorite foods, from one of the local vendors. By the time they had made it to the main square, the rolls were gone and the festivities had already begun. The guards took up positions around the square while Jurion and Nadeina toured the various booths, the music and dancing fading into the background. Eira and General Aelider kept close while Wrell spoke to one of the vendors.