Chapter 42

Jurion peered out the window of the carriage, watching the crowd of waving, cheering people pass by in a blur of faces. He settled back against the seat cushion, fixing his attention on the woman sitting on the opposite side. Wrell sat quietly, her hands in her lap, her twisted fingers the only sign of unease from the day's proceedings. They had just come from the chapel where the wedding ceremony had taken place. Preparations had been swift, though the ceremony was well put together, and Black Vale seemed pleased to celebrate such a union. As for the council and court, there were certain members who were slightly less than thrilled about Jurion's choice, but none of the objections had been sufficient enough to stop the marriage and bind.

He still could hardly believe that Wrell had agreed to marry him. He had made it clear that there was no obligation to accept, no duty that she had to fulfill as his former servant. He could not sense her feelings, as the marriage bloodbind had yet to take place, but Jurion believed she had agreed to marry him out of love.

But now, as he sat across from her and studied her in silence, he wondered if this strange feeling of doubt would dissolve. By the blood, he was afraid what the answer may be if he asked her. Do you love me?

Strange that a man who had commanded armies and ruled a realm was afraid to ask such a simple question.

He opened his mouth, ready to force the words out, when the carriage rattled to a stop. The door opened, revealing the front gates of the Great Estate. Jurion shoved the question back down and climbed out, turning to offer a hand to Wrell.

There was no reluctance when she took his hand and stepped down. He was still wrapped up in the feeling of her hand in his like a complete fool when they were greeted by a line of lesser lords and ladies. The council and the court, both present to welcome the Great Lord and Great Lady home.

The first to greet them was Lord Talo. He made no mention of his and Jurion's conversations in Sardin about Wrell, merely offering a sincere congratulations with a twinkle in his eye. "I am glad you accepted his proposal, Great Lady," he said, "for the council struggled to find a suitable match. We would not be able to take another rejection."

"I was honored to accept," Wrell said simply, her manner warmer with Talo than most. "Thank you for the well-wishes, my lord."

"Of course, Great Lady."

They moved on down the line, receiving acknowledgment from each of the nobles. Wrell seemed unsure what to make of them, especially the ladies whose court she would soon oversee. Jurion wondered how exactly she would handle the task, but he had a suspicion his new wife's straightforward manner and quiet strength would win them over.

Wrell stopped short, causing Jurion to nearly run her over. He reached to steady her, drawing her a step backward with him when he saw who stood before them. The Lord and Lady Killas, dressed in their finest. They had been in attendance during the ceremony, but Jurion had forgotten they would be here now. Together they stood, the lord reserved while the lady looked at Wrell with overt unease.

Lady Killas was the first to speak, reaching out to touch Wrell's arm and offering a kind congratulations. Jurion remained alert beside her, unable to tell if she welcomed the lady's touch.

"You have my congratulations as well, Great Lord," Lord Killas said. "A wife and family is a good thing indeed." He paused, then deliberately focused his sharp gaze on Wrell. "You have come far. I see your upbringing has been put to good use."

Lady Killas placed a restraining hand on her husband's arm. She opened her mouth, but Jurion spoke before she could get a word out.

"Thank you for your well-wishes, my lord and lady. But we must be moving on." With a firm hand he guided Wrell to the next set of nobles, and she went willingly. Perhaps even with relief.