Chapter 20

Jurion sought out Nadeina a few days later. Perhaps it would please General Aelider and Lord Talo that he was the one to initiate contact, but their approval was not what he sought. He wanted answers.

He left Wrell at the palace despite her protests and took a Viannic guard instead. After inquiring about the empress's whereabouts, he found himself heading down a little-known corridor that sloped upwards until he reached two imperial guards standing at the base of an archway.

The guards bowed. "She is inside, Great Lord."

"Alone? I would like to speak with her."

"She is alone, my lord."

He nodded, instructing his personal escort to wait there, and passed beneath the arch into a chamber carved from rock. The whole place was dark, but in the lamplight he made out a row of arches denoting a series of chambers in a row. He began to walk, searching for the only figure in the room.

He was still wondering why she had chosen this of all places to hide away when he spotted movement in his peripheral vision. A blade swept toward him. Pushing down the shock, he drew his sword just in time to hear the reassuring clang of metal on metal. He batted the blade away and jumped back to avoid another swipe. The attacker was clearly Nadeina; he recognized the features amid the fierce whirlwind of blue fabric and blade.

The onslaught did not stop; he was unable to speak as he countered, remaining on the defense. No time to think, just keep himself from getting killed. His days as Lord General came rushing back, countless spars and little skirmishes, the sweat running down his back and his arms ringing with each blow. He found himself being pushed backwards, Nadeina's attacks sending the lamps flickering and sputtering with each sudden gust of air, until his back was pressed against a wall and the point of her sword was at his throat.

She stared, eyes unblinking, blade suspended. He stared back.

His next words held nothing but pure disbelief as he blurted out, "Empress. What was that?"

She lowered her sword and sheathed it, strands of hair clinging to her temples. He was breathing hard, sword heavy in his arms. It had been a long time since he had been in a duel, and Nadeina Vian was nothing less than a challenge. Aside from her glistening forehead, it seemed she had hardly worked up a sweat. It was alarming how easily she had defeated him.

His back remained flat against the wall. He still held his sword, not quite willing to put himself in a vulnerable position again. "Explain, Nadeina." He did not bother with a title-not when she had just greeted him as if he were an enemy met in battle.

"I was curious," she said, annoyingly flippant and knowing full well she had both irritated and frightened him. "I had not seen Quelle's Great Lord's skill with a blade. I wanted to witness my future husband's skill for myself."

"You could have asked," he said, unable to keep the sourness from his tone. "A spar, perhaps."

"But how does Jurion Calustus react to unexpected surprises? That is the question I have just answered. You only defended yourself; you did not attack. Very telling."

He avoided a direct response, going for flattery instead. "You are quite talented with a blade, Empress."

His words had the opposite effect; she darkened, like the shadows of the hall had overtaken her. "I should be, considering the lifetime I've used it." She waved a hand. "No matter. Now, why have you come?"

He allowed the less-than-adept transition, glad she had moved away from analyzing him. "I've heard rumors," he said, finally sheathing his sword. "Things around the palace and at dinners, reports from my people when they go about the city. From all this I've gathered you are on the hunt for something you have omitted from our meetings."