04

(575 B.C Babylon)

Soro was rarely needed during the actual fighting, he had come to realise in the few thousand years since they had arrived. Gilgamesh, Thena, Kingo, Ikaris and Makkari worked together solidly to eliminate the deviants. Soro could be helpful but his abilities were never needed. Kingo was a good enough long range fighter to provide back up when needed, but other times the four close range fighters were able to control the situation well enough. All Soro was good for was providing defence for the humans.

So there he was, standing at the gates of the city as the others handled the deviants rampaging outside. His golden threads woven together to create an impenetrable net that spanned the frame of the gates. The wood at his back and the deviants ahead of him as he watched Gilgamesh pummel the last one into the ground. He wasn't needed and yet the crowd cheered for them all as they opened the city gates again. The threat over.

"There's going to be another party tonight", Druig announced as Soro returned to the city. His hair was dusty and he wanted a bath. The mind controller was chewing on segments of an orange and he picked one up and held it out. Soro leant forwards and bit it straight out of the other's hand, his own occupied with untying his hair. The fruit was juicy and sharp. Not noticing the way Druig's eyes lingered on his lips or the way his fingers twitched as he offered out a new piece. Soro allowed it to be fed to him, fingers busy shaking dust from his hair.

"We had one last month", he pointed out between bites. His feet carrying him towards the temple in the centre of the city where the Domo was buried. They had baths in the temple halls and he was aching for one.

"We had a deviant attack last month too", Druig shrugged as he ate another orange segment. Soro stole one from his hand and chewed on it. The blue eyed man narrowed said eyes at him at the theft. "They like celebrating our victories".

The flow of people in the streets around them slowed the closer they got to the temple. Soro took Druig by the arm and tugged him through the doors and down the corridor towards the baths. They were almost there when Druig grabbed him by the wrist and steered him down a different corridor and into a small shaded alcove. "Druig", Soro complained as he was herded. "I want to have a bath".

"Indulge me for a bit", Druig grinned. Soro sighed but relented. He had always held a soft spot for the other man. He, and perhaps Ajak, had been the only one who had not treated him slightly differently. Soro loved his team, his family. But he could never bond with them when they talked about Olympia. It was hard to bond over something he couldn't remember. He did not recall their home planet at all. Ajak theorised that there was a malfunction with the sleep they had all be put into during their travel to earth. It had been a sleep designed to keep them in stasis while the Domo crossed the stars, except something had gone wrong and when Soro woke all his memories were gone.

"What do you want?" He asked, brown eyes locked on blue. Druig was staring at him in a way that made Soro's stomach flicker. Even with him close enough that he was blurry, Soro could still feel the weight of the gaze.

"You are stunning, you know that?" The words were an exhaled breath.

"Ooh", Soro flushed, suddenly embarrassed. He turned his gaze to their feet, where he could just about see the lines on their boots. "Am I? I don't know". It was true. He hadn't actually ever seen his reflection, only distant outlines. Any time he got close it was only enough to see a blurry silhouette.

"Soro", Druig's accent curled his name over in a pleasing way. He could listen to it all day. "You are beautiful".

"What shade are your eyes?" Soro blurted. Druig paused. "Are they light, like the sky? Or dark? Like the sea, or a storm? I want to know".