07

Soro stepped out of the open set door after Sersi, Ikaris and Sprite. After the discovery of Ajak's body, the knew they had to gather the others. It would be a lie if Soro wasn't nervous about it. (He had not seen Druig or spoken to him in five hundred years. The idea filled him with butterflies). Sersi had suggested they find Kingo first so here they were, on a Bollywood movie set in India watching as dazzling dancers fluttered across the set. The four of them still slightly damp from the storm and with Soro still covered in mud. They looked like they had walked off the set of a horror movie, a far cry from the glitter and gold of the beautiful courtyard that they were currently filming. 

It reminded Soro of the courtyard he had danced with Kingo back in the Gupta empire. Those had been simpler and happier times. The woman sung along to a rich beat as the men, dressed in ornate costumes resembling a familiar gold and blue uniform. "Is he supposed to be you?" Soro hissed at Ikaris. The other man didn't reply. 

Someone greeted them and Soro jumped, turning his head away from the dancers to see a smiling Indian man in his late Middle Ages. He was dressed in a suit and had a round but warm face. "I am Karun Patel", he introduced with a chuckle. "Kingo's Valet". 

"He has a valet?" Soro muttered. His back pack with all his world possessions (other than his armour) hanging from his shoulder. Kingo had obviously made a fortune over the last several decades. The last time Soro had seen him was in the 30s. They had gone to see a movie together and now it seemed that Kingo had made himself a movie star. Time had sure flown.

"It's truly an honour to be in the presence of great Eternals", Karun bowed. The four of them exchanged looks. 

On set the dance was coming to an end. The dancers all fell into their final poses and the music finished. "Cut!" Kingo called. "That was great everyone. So good. But I think we can do ten percent better though. Let's take a break!" Makeup artists swarmed him and he looked up. Soro grinned as the eternal let out a squeal. "My friends from college are here!" He exclaimed, brushing off the makeup brushes to jog towards them. "Hello boss!" He met Ikaris with a hug. "Perfect timing. Welcome to the set of"- he then stated a title in Hindi too fast for Soro's rusty language skills to keep up. "I'm playing you!" 

Kingo then turned to Soro. "Soro! I've missed you. What do you think? You know, if you ever want to come and be my back up dancer again then I can get you a part in my new movie. What happened to you? You're covered in mud". 

"We need to talk", Ikaris interjected. 

Kingo was talking at a million miles per hour. "Tell the director I have some notes for him and do we have any spare clothes we can lend Soro? He can use the shower in my trailer". 

"We need to talk in private", Sprite interrupted, gesturing to the valet. 

Soro watched Kingo frown. "Oh Karun? He's worked for me for fifty years, I trust him completely. Actually when we first met he thought I was a vampire and tried to stake me through the heart", he laughed. Soro sniggered at the mental image. Kingo was certainly vain and dramatic enough to be a vampire. 

""I have apologised so many times", Karun smiled with an air of suffering. 

"Not quite enough times but almost there, I'll let you know. Oh, I have to get ready for he next scene. Come to my tent, we'll talk there". He set off at a brisk walk towards the purple fabric tent set up in the corner of the warehouse building that housed the set. "You guys are gonna love the next scene . I come in on a wire 'cause you know, I can't fly. Wait are we getting back together?" He sat down in a little chair by the large light encircled mirror. 

"We need to talk", Sersi repeated, gently but firmly. 

"I've been waiting for the day the world learns the true identity of the shadow warrior". 

"Ajak's dead". The words made Kingo freeze. 

"Nice way of passing on the news there Sprite", Soro muttered not quite under his breath. The redhead glared at him. 

"She was killed. It was a deviant", Ikaris explained. Around them, people were gathering for the next scene. Kingo's face was devastated. "The deviants are back. We don't know how many there are". Ikaris reset a hand on the man's shoulder. "You need to come with us". 

Kingo stood and turned to them, his brown eyes filled with worry. He turned to glance out through the open warehouse doors where the cast were waiting for him. "I can't go. These people depend on me. We just started shooting this movie, it's a first of a trilogy. We just got BTS to do a cameo"- his voice broke off. 

"Sir", Karun voiced. "May I say something?" 

"Please don't say anything". 

"I think you should go". 

"I just said please don't say anything!" Kingo snapped. 

"Life affords no greater duty than to protect one's family!" The man quoted. "Remember? It's your favourite line from Shadow warrior 2: voyage of time. You're family needs you". 

Kingo was silent for a second then he cursed loudly in Hindi. This Soro did understand and it made him smile. "Urgh alright. But we are taking my jet", He stated as he turned to them. "Soro's portals make me feel disorientated. Also Soro desperately needs a shower and he can shower on the jet. Let's go. Who are we getting next?" He began to stride for the doors. Soro jogging to catch up as the others trailed behind. 

"Thena and Gil are in Australia", Soro offered. 

"Sounds like a plan", Kingo nodded. "Now Soro. Don't tell me you are still homeless and travelling from hotel to hotel like a hobo". He scolded. 

"Hey", Soro huffed. "I like it and I get paid to do it. Travel blogs are big now. Instagram and YouTube love me". 

"Still, do you know where hotel sheets have been? I swear some of the hotels you sleep in look like the shining", Kingo ranted. He continued all the way to the airport. 

unedited