18

The hall was full of a tense silence. Druig leaning back, hips propped by the table at the head of the room. His face was furrowed in a frown that Soro found himself studying rather than processing what news Sersi had dropped on them. It felt like someone had read a story to him and he couldn't seem to connect it to him even though parts of it were familiar. They were robots? He recalled his discussion with Ajak back in Tenochtitlan as they watched everyone leave. "You were not supposed to be on this mission. You were new and had come from a different team of Eternals". If they had been doing this for millions of years, killing deviants and helping the emergence while destroying plants in the process, rinse and repeat, then was she telling the truth? Had he been with the team this whole time or did he have another family out there who he had forgotten? Another team of Eternals who he spent millions of years with before Arisham decided to place him here. 

That thought was overwhelming enough on it's own without all the added feelings about destroying earth and feeding the sentient energy of it's human population to the celestial growing in the planet's core. That and the fact that they were fancy robots. The robot thing was probably the easiest for him to accept. It made sense how he had powers and never aged. They weren't alive, just sentient. Druig's eyes flickered up from the floor and met Soro's. The longer haired male was sat on the bench closest, torso folded over and elbows resting on his knees. His lips were still pink though the swelling from their makeup session was going down. "You've given me a lot of bad news in one go, my lady", Druig tilted his head to Sersi. 

"Will you help us?" 

"I am glad that-" he broke off as the faint sounds of Juice by Lizzo blared to life. Sersi's hands flew to her phone and she cut off the call. Next to Soro, Thena arched an eyebrow as Gilgamesh slumbered. Th larger man somehow having fallen asleep sitting up with his head bent over his chest. Soro had seen him sleep in much weirder places and positions over the centuries but it never ceased to amaze him. 

"Hey what's your service?" Kingo hissed to Sersi from behind him. "I'm not getting any bars". Thena woke Gil with a gentle push to his shoulder and the light snoring stopped. 

"Do you all remember this forest?" Druig spoke up loudly. He began pacing and Soro rolled his eyes fondly at the display. "Beautiful. It was the last place we all lived together". He began walking down the aisle between the rows of benches, arms behind his back as if giving a sermon. As he passed, he brushed close enough for his right elbow to bump gently into Soro's shoulder, causing them both to stifle smiles. (They were still giddy on the physical proximity t0 each other). "I have protected these people for twenty generations, from the outside world and from themselves". 

Druig came to a stop as he addressed Karun. "Your kind, my friend. You will be responsible for your own extinction one day. Don't you think?" 

"I think we must learn from our mistakes and do better sir. You must not give up hope". Soro didn't need to turn to know what had happened when there was the sudden crash of a camera breaking against the wall. 

"Oh no you didn't". Soror turned to watch Kingo stand up and get in Druig's face. "Okay new rule, no more possessing people's valets". 

"Oh, where is your sense of humour Kingo?" Druig grinned. 

"I'm sorry sir", Karun mumbled weakly. 

"Don't apologise, it's not your fault". Kingo's soft tone faded as he turned back to Druig. "You are not a god, you know that right?" Despite being taller and broader than Druig, the blue eyed man merely smirked. 

"How ironic. Kingo, the movie star". 

That was when Soro decided to interfere. He got up and put a hand on his husband's chest, pushing him back a step. "Druig", he sighed, half fond amusement, half exasperation. Five hundred years and they still bickered like toddlers. 

Druig moved willingly. "What did I do?" He widened his blue eyes innocently. 

"Oh don't act all innocent-" Kingo burst out with a frustrated huff. "You were being an arsehole". 

"Kingo", Soro stated. He pushed the other man a step back too. "Not the time". 

"Fine", the movie star exhaled deeply. "But only because the word is ending. Speaking of the world ending, shouldn't you be with your spouse?" He turned curious eyes onto Soro. "I can't believe you didn't tell us you were married? How bad was the breakup? Was that why you were living in hotels?"

Soro blinked. "I've just found out I am a robot on a mission to help destroy the planet and you want to know about my marriage problems?" 

"He's been burning to ask questions ever since you told us and disappeared", Sprite voiced. 

The ginger looked bored but Sersi was fixing him with sympathetic eyes. "You can go and tell them if you want. We can meet you later". Her tone was soft and understanding. 

Soro threw his hands up. "Why is everyone suddenly interested in my love life? What about Druig's love life?" 

"That's optimistic", Druig smirked at him. Any giddy feelings left in familiar frustration as Soro narrowed his eyes at his husband. In his corner, Gilgamesh sniggered. 

"Enough. This is a waste of time", Ikaris barked as he pushed himself off the wall he was leaning against and strode towards the door. "We should have left him". 

"We need him", Sersi stated firmly. It went ignored. 

Spotting a new target, Druig followed after the taller man. "Ikaris!" He crowed. Soro watched Ikaris' shoulders tense up with anger as he stopped. "I missed you. Are you going to charm me? Threaten me?"

"There's a third option if you prefer that". 

"It must be heartbreaking to find out you're not mother's favourite". 

"And I'm sure she would be real proud of what you've been up to", Ikaris' reply was drowned out by Sersi standing up. 

"Druig, this is serious". 

"I'll tell you what is serious". The frustratingly playful manner dropped and he crossed the room to stand in front of their new leader. Blue eyes cold and calm. "I've just been told that my husband, who I have just gotten back after I fucked up five hundred years ago, have been sent on a suicide mission for the past seven thousand years and that my entire existence is a lie. So, excuse me for not giving a shit about your plan right now". 

Soro watched with surprise as Druig turned and crossed back over to him. The blue eyed man took his hands and interlocked their fingers together soothingly. Face scanning his for any signs of distress. "Are you alright?" He murmured. Never had they even so much as held hands in front go the others before. Soro blinked at the action, stunned for a few seconds. Then he caught the glances Druig was shooting the others before gripping tighter. 

A small smile tugged at his lips. "It's a lot to process. Let's go back", Soro offered. Druig nodded and began leading him from the room. The other's silent behind them as they pushed the doors open. 

"Wait, how long had that been going on?" Kingo exclaimed. 

"They've been married since the eight hundreds", Gilgamesh snorted as he burst out laughing. "I can't believe you never noticed". 

unedited