10

(1521 AD Tenochtitlan)

They moved Thena to the temple onto of the highest pyramid in the city. Soro watched Gilgamesh lay her down on the stone table in the centre of the room and wondered at how small and slight she seemed. Thena had never been small and fragile. It made him feel uneasy to see her that way. His stomach was sore and oversensitive. The new scar, apart of many in his collection, was sensitive and sore from the climb up the hundreds of steps. His shirt still blood stained and his hands worried the fabric, rubbing his glasses against it in a nervous habit of cleaning them.

"I thought Mahd Wr'ry was a myth", Sersi muttered as she watched Thena sleep. Sprite was half hidden in the corner of the room, small frame surrounded by shadows cast by the flaming brasiers on the walls. Makkari and Phastos were in the other corner, far enough away that they would have a chance to react if Thena attacked them again. Kingo was halfway between Sersi and Sprite, as if he didn't know wether to stay away or approach. Ikaris paced around them, gaze furrowed in a worried crease. Soro stood between the table and the door. The fires of the city casting him in shadow as distantly, the slaughter still raged.

"There is no cure", Phastos replied. "So no one really talks about it".

Thena awoke with a gasp that made them all jump. She sat up, breath heavy in the silence as she gazed around at them. "What happened?" Soro relaxed at her voice. This was their Thena.

"You attacked everyone", Ajak explainers stepping closer to the table as Sersi moved back. "Wounded Sersi, Phastos, Makkari. You almost killed Soro". Thena sat up and her blue eyes found Soro. He pushed his glasses back on and gave her a small smile. He didn't blame her for any of it.

"I don't remember". Thena's voice was thick with emotion.

"You have Mahd Wr'ry. Your mind is fracturing under the weight of your memories and all I can do is erase them so that you can start over". At the mention of memories, Soro glanced back to Druig and Gilgamesh behind him. His eyes met blue but Druig glanced away. Frowning, Soro turned back to the conversation. "I will have to inform Arishem and take you back to the ship where we have the technology to help you", Ajak spoke calmly.

Makkari's brown eyes widened. 'But then she won't be Thena anymore', she signed sadly. Soro walked around the table and pulled her into a hug. He was only a few inches taller than here and she rested her head against his shoulder as he soothed her.

"What is it happens again? She could've killed you", Kingo voiced. "She could have killed all of us".

"Please", Thena pleaded, and it made Soro and Makkari cling tighter at the breaking of her voice. It felt like everything was coming apart. "I- I want to remember. I want to remember my life".

"Thena I love you", Ajak placed a hand on the blonde's tear stained cheek. "Listen. It's not important if you remember or not. Your spirit will remain. You will always be our Thena deep inside. Trust me".

It was only because he was watching, that Soro saw the moment Druig snapped. "Why should she trust you?" His voice was harsh as he stepped away from the door frame he had been leaning against and stepped out so that he was silhouetted against the fires from the city below. "You are asking her to let you ease who she is".

"Druig I know you're upset. But..", Ajak tried.

"Upset?" The word was a shout. "We've trusted you for seven thousand years, and look where you've gotten us. I have watched humans destroy each other when I could stop it all in a heartbeat". A tear glinted in the orange firelight and Soro was letting go of Makkari and stepping forwards without thought. "Do you know what that does to someone after centuries?" It was a softer, a vulnerable exposed wound.