05

(400 AD Gupta Empire)

Soro could feel Druig watching him. The blue eyed stare a warm weight on his back as he moved. The jingling of the music filling the courtyard as the dancers moved. They had long since left their armour with the Domo when they left Babylon and today he wore a tunic in a warm brown red and matching trousers, stitched with gold as all the Eternal's clothes were. Their position enabled to the respect and wealth of courtiers and as such they were given the clothes of that status. He had long since gotten used to the lightness of movements without his armour and it no longer felt strange. He felt hyper aware of it in this moment, surrounded by dancers in similar attire. The woman with swirling gagri that shone under the late afternoon sun.

The bangles on the women's wrists jingled as they moved and Soro concentrated to follow their movements. The men around him didn't wear as much jewellery but he and Kingo had been draped in as much metal as the women. He watched the light glint and heard the clear sounds as they spun. He caught Kingo's grin across the circle and flashed a wide smile back. His glasses resting comfortably on his nose even with the vigorous dancing. The thin golden frames matching the brocade on his tunic. Bare feet hitting the worn stones of the courtyard as he jumped and moved together with the men and women around him. The energy invigorating.

"Soro", Kingo crowed once the dance had come to an end. The taller man, in a tunic of rich purple, broke from his ending pose and ran across the space to sweep the other eternal in a hug. "You did wonderfully. I loved it. You have got to dance again with me". He lifted Soro up in his arms and swung him around in excitement. "The next one I'm planning for Ikaris and Sersi's wedding is based off one of the local stories. Man saves his love from a monster", Kingo continued as he set him down. Soro nodded, taking his glasses off to clean the glass on the loose fabric of his tunic and brush his hair from his face.

"Sure", he nodded along, not really listening. He looked up to see Druig leaning against the wall near the entrance. The mind controller in a dark grey tunic and a three quarters eaten naan in his hands. He lifted it as if in a toast before biting off about half and chewing, Blue eyes creased with a teasing smile.

Kingo looked over and sighed as he spotted Druig. "What do you want?" He asked sulkily as the blue eyed man walked over.

"I am here to steal Soro from you", he grinned.

"Soro is my dance partner for the afternoon", Kingo huffed back.

"And I've already learnt five dances", Soro pointed out as he put his glasses back on and shook his hair out. "I'm starved".

"Perfect. Let's go and get food", Druig stuffed the remainder of his bread into his mouth and began walking away. Soro rolled his eyes fondly (the day when Druig was not hungry would be a day the sun goes out) and followed.

He waved goodbye to Kingo. "I'll come back tomorrow", he promised.

"You'd better", Kingo called back. Soro already slipping his shoes back on and skipping out of the courtyard.

"What do you fancy?" He asked Druig as they fell in step. The empire that they had been travelling through for the past year was beautiful. Huge temples and palaces in colourful stone and markets full of traders. The Eternals mostly stuck to the more rural parts where Deviant attacks were more likely but even there the towns were lively. Soro enjoyed the smell of spices as he and Druig meandered through the market. Thena, Gilgamesh and Ikaris were on patrol. Sersi was last seen cooking with some of the local women while Ajak communicated with the leaders here. Sprite off playing with several children.

"There's this lovely little place down here that does the most delicious chickpea curry. Not that I've tried it, but it smells wonderful and the men I was playing with last night suggested it". Druig and Soro moved out of the way of a cart full of rolls of cloth.