Unloveable (2/4)

(art from @allreap_2d on twitter)

Beds of sweat fell from her forehead as she struck once and once again the glowing red piece of metal. She was focused on the shape she wanted to give that blade, so much, that the repetitive and loud sound of the clash of her mallet helped her into that state. She was deafened by the metallic sounds, by her own thoughts, and by the sound of the growing fire as her father stoked up the forge. She was so much deep in thought, that she almost didn't hear the sound of the bell from the store, signaling that a client was waiting by the counter. She slid her protective glasses up her head and threw the blade into a bucket of cold water, making it sizzle as soon as the incandescent weapon-in-the-make was sunk in it. 

She smeared her face with her gloves, getting rid of more of the sweat as she came out from the back store. Her usual stern expression relaxed into a faint smile when she saw Kakashi. 

"Your wakizashi, right?" she asked him. It took him a while to answer, but when his eyes stopped wandering around her disheveled and dirty appearance he nodded. She took her gloves off, throwing them over the counter before disappearing into the back store once again. 

When she reappeared Kakashi couldn't help but stare at the grease stains on her face. He bit his lip, trying not to smile. Not only her face was all dirty, but so was the sleeveless white tank top she wore that stick to her body due to her sweat, and so were her working trousers that were dirty and a bit broken as well. Even her hair was all messy in a low bun/ponytail, although it looked anything but that. 

"Check it out," she said excitedly when Kakashi didn't react. 

It made him snap out of his thoughts and unsheath the blade. He held it under the light, inspecting how shiny it was now. It almost looked new. He then held the handle, feeling how she had even repaired it. Kakashi wasn't one to have big reactions, especially having most of his face covered. However, (Y/n) seemed to notice he was content with her work since her smile remained while she continued to watch him. After all, this, giving her clients what they had ordered, and surpassing their expectations, was one of her favorite things. It was one of the few moments she felt like she used to when she was a ninja.

"Can I ask you something?" she asked the silver-haired male. He finally sheathed the wakizashi again, looking at her and nodding "Why don't you use it anymore?" Once again, it took a while for Kakashi to answer, and although her looks continued to be partly to blame, this time it was mostly due to not knowing how or how much to answer. 

"It's become more of a valuable item than a weapon," he simply answered. And although it wasn't much of an explanation, she seemed to understand what he meant, and he noticed. She nodded, her smile slightly gone as if she knew first-hand what he was referring to. 

"I noticed that your chakra natures are earth and lightning, but you don't use blades anymore," she changed the topic "So I designed this kind of kunais for you" she said, taking a blade like a kunai from her desk and putting it on the counter "I've made it so that it is especially conducting of electricity, and especially resistant to earth" she continued to explain as she gave him the tool. 

It looked like a kunai, but it was more balanced. Instead of being shaped in a triangle, the handle almost merged with the blade, making it sturdier and more resistant. And the aerodynamic shape, added to the cutting metal, made it perfect for light-speed throws. 

Kakashi knew (Y/n) used to do things like this. She adored her work, and she was the best at it. Hell, not only was she the best blacksmith in the whole village, but even the whole Land of Fire. He'd venture to say she was just the best, in general. He couldn't find words to thank her, not expecting to be given such a gift.