Chapter Seven: "free ice cream for life"

Erica climbed up the ladder with a flashlight in her hand as she shone it into the deep, dark vent.

"Hmm." She sighed and climbed back down the ladder.

"Yeah, I don't know." She spoke, unsure.
"You don't know if you can fit?" Dustin asked.

"Oh, I can fit. I just don't know if I want to." She voiced.
"Are you claustrophobic?" Robin asked.
"I don't have phobias."She spoke.

"Are you scared?" Evie asked, wondering if that was the problem since she was still a young kid.

"I don't get scared, at least not by this." Erica shook her head.
Evie nodded in understanding.

"Then what's the problem?" Steve asked with his arms crossed over his chest.

"The problem is I still haven't heard what's in this for erica." She argued.

Steve seethed as Robin gave an annoyed expression.

"I know something you can't resist." Evie spoke as Erica quirked a brow.
Evie led them back into the parlor, setting Erica up in a booth.

"I will fix up any ice cream your little heart desires." Evie grinned, leaning on the table before her.

"Don't forget the banana split." Erica called as evie and Robin went on to make any one of everything they had.

They grabbed ice cream cones of all flavors, sundaes, and milk shakes.
Steve pushed a banana split in front of the young girl as they sat around her.

"More fudge, please." Erica stated, pushing it back towards him. Steve harshly glared at the girl and continued to sit.

"Go on." She waved as he gave a harsh smile and lifted the ice cream, taking it back to the counter to add more fudge.

"Alright." Robin began as she lifted the starcourt blue prints from the space next to her.

"You see, this is the route you're going to take. And then you knock out the grate, jump down, open the door. " Robin explained, pointing at spots on the blueprint.

"Then you find out what's in those boxes?" Erica asked.

"Exactly." Robin assured. Evie slowly slid the uneaten milkshake toward her and took a sip, and slowly slid in front for her.

"And you say this guard is armed." Erica asked with a mouth full of ice cream.

"Yes, but he won't be there." Dustin assured her.

"And booby traps?" Erica asked.
"Booby traps?" Robin asked.

"You know, lasers, spikes in the wall?" Erica asked, explaining.

"What?" Robin laughed.
"You know what this half-baked plan of yours sounds like to me?" Erica questioned, looking at Dustin, who gave a frown.

"Child endangerment." Erica spoke in a harsh tone.
Evie stiffled a laugh.

"We'll be in radio contact with you the whole time." Robin assured, but Erica wasn't having it.

"Child endangerment."Erica voiced louder. Robin sighed.

"Erica, hi..uh we think these Russians want to do harm to our country. Great harm. Don't you love your country?" Dustin asked poking his chin.

"You can't spell "America" without "Erica." She said, sipping her milshake.

"Totally." Evie grinned.
"Do it for your country. Do it for your fellow man. Do it for america... Erica." Dustin spoke during her loud slurping.

"Ooh, I just got the chills. From this float, not your speech." She said.
Evie watched as Dustin's smile dropped.

"Know what I love most about this country? Capitalism. Do you know what capitalism is?" Erica questioned.

A chorus of yeahs came from the three.
"It means this is a free market system. Which means people get paid for their services, depending on how valuable their contributions are. My ability to fit into that little vent is very, very valuable to you all. So you want my help? This USS butterscotch better be the first of many. And I'm talking free ice cream for life." Erica rambled before bitting off a cherry and dropping the stem.

"Deal." Evie reached out her hand to shale on it.
Erica brought hers to evies and shook her hand with a nod of approval.
●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●Word count: 667