Chapter Nine: "Just Dandy."

Even though she had her hands over her ears, she could still hear the screams coming from the others, and they made their descent down the elevator shift.

The elevator made a loud thud as it stopped at the bottom.
Evie felt Steve's had slips from hers as he fell next to her.

The force was so strong that it made her tumble, almost face, first to the floor.

She removed her hands from her ears and opened her eyes to find the group sprawled on the floor before her.

She felt a metalic taste in her mouth from biting her lip so hard. She swallowed and regained herself.

"My groin! Dustin, get this off of me." Steve grunted from the weight of the boxes that tumbled onto his body.

Dustin sighed and walked over to Steve and lifted the boxes off of him.

Steve heavily lifted himself up. Robin sighed and held her head. "Is everybody ok?" Robin asked, tired.

"Just dandy." Evie muttered, catching her breath.

Dustin moved over to her and held out his hand for her to take. She took it and helped lift her up. She shakingly stood and held the wall for balance.

"You ok." Dustin whispered.
She nodded and gave him a soft smile, tipping his cap. He laughed and fixed it.

"Yeah, im great, now that I know that Russians can't design elevators!" Steve roared heavily, pushing Dustin aside and started pressing buttons on the control panel.

Evie winced at his loud voice.
"I think we've clearly established that those buttons don't work." Robin advised.

Robin wrapped her arm around evie since she was struggling to maintain her balance.

"They're buttons. They have to do something." Steve argued.

"Yeah, if we had a keycard." Robin spoke.

"A what?" Steve questioned.

"It's an electronic lock. Same as the loading dock door. If we dont have a keycard, it won't operate. Meaning..
- were stuck in here." Dustin added.

"Just so you nerds are aware, I'm supposed to be spending the night at Tina's, and Tina always covers for me. But if im not home from Uncle Jack's party tomorrow and my mom finds out, you three are responsible, she's gonna hunt you down, one by one, and slit your throats." Erica threatened.

"Tell her I volunteer first." Evie said with a smirk on her face.

Steve hit his arms against the box he was leaning on. "I don't care about Tina! Or Uncle Jack's party! Your mom is not going to be able to find us if we're dead in a Russian elevator!" Steve ranted.

There was a moment of silence before Dustin pointed at the hole in the ceiling.

"What if we climbed out?" Dustin questioned.

                        ~         ~        ~

Steve brushed his hand through Evie's dark locks as she rested her head on Steve's shoulder. He smiled to himself at her sleeping figure.

"You like her, don't you." Robin whispered, plopping down next to him.

"I don't know." He mumbled as he looked to see that Dustin and Erica were sound asleep.

"Uh huh." She gave him a knowing look.

"It doesn't even matter she wouldn't like me anyway after what i put her through in high school." He frowned.

"Steve. You aren't like that anymore, plus most of it wasn't  even you it was Tommy and Carol. I know she would forgive you even for the things you said." Robin gave a soft smile.
"Yeah, I guess you're right." He softy smiled.

In Evies freshman year, Carol found out Evie had a crush on Steve, so she told the whole grade who, in return, bullied her every day and harassed her. Steve found out and made a snide comment about nobody wanting her and that she was a worthless munson just like her whole family.

"This is a code red." Dustin repeated as he was speaking through the walky talky.

"Hey, gotta take it easy on that thing. Gonna drain the battery." Steve advised.

"Someone could be in range." Dustin argued.

"What do you think, Petey the Mall cop us gonna Rappel down here and save the day?" Steve questioned.

"All right, why are you being such a cranky pants when you can spend the night with evie." Dustin whispered as Steve shushed him.

"Jesus Christ, will you just give up on your creepy dream already?" Steve whispered, looking up the elevator shift.

"I heard you guys talking all night." Dustin said.

"We were trying to figure out a way to open the door. While you children were sleepy. I gotta get her out of here. I don't know how much longer of this she can take before she has another panic attack. After eight hours, we were still exactly nowhere, which is, you know, probably just a little bit of the reason why im feeling just a tad cranky." Steve said, walking around.

                      ~           ~           ~

Evie heard a stream of water, and Robin turned to her with a look of disgust that she had returned.

"Can you please redirect your stream, please?" Robin questioned loudly.

Steve moved as Erica started banging the jar of green liquid against the metal box.

Robin rushed to grab the jar from the girls hands.

"We don't even know what that is?" Robin spoke frantically.

"Exactly. It could be useful." Erica argued.

"Useful for what?" Evie questioned with her mouth dry as the desert.

"We can survive down here a long time without food, but if the human body doesn't get water, it will die." Erica argued.

"Welp, I guess my time is almost up." Evie mumbled dryly, fanning herself with her hand.

"But this is not water." Robin argued.

"No, but it's a liquid, and if it comes down to me drinking that shit or dying of thirst, I drink." She mockingly smiled.

Robin signed, and Erica snatched the jar out of her hand. Robin ran over to the door and pressed her ear against it.
"What?" Evie asked, confused.
"We've got company." Robin smiled.

                          ~       ~      ~

The group watched tbeought he small window on top of the elevator. Steve made a shushing motion with his finger as the Russians exited the elevator.

Steve jumped down the hole and swiftly placed the vial of green liquid under the door to stop it from sliding down.

"Let's go." He said, sliding Erica's helmet under the door.

Erica slid under with Robin in tow and then Evie, who struggled to move quickly. Steve pushed her and then slid under.

The vial broke under the weight, not a second later. The green liquid sizzled into the floor.

"Jesus christ." Steve mumbled, looking at the mess on the floor.

"You still wanna drink that?" Robin grinned towards the young girl.

"Holy mother of god." Dustin spoke to no one in particular as he stared down the long hallway.

"I don't even see an exit." Evie said, squinting.

"Hope you guys are in good shape. Looking at you roast beef." Steve spoke patting Dustin's shoudler before walking ahead of the group.

"Let's go." Steve waves his hand.
●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●
Word count: 1173