Chapter 23

IN FRONT OF THE MIRROR in the bathroom, I wince as I continue to apply an antibiotic ointment on the cuts on the left side of my face

I placed a flashlight on the sink since there is no electricity in the cabin. Good thing there's running water and I will always choose the latter. It's cold water but it'll do than have nothing.

The tiny cuts all over my body hurt like motherfucker.

Way back, I wondered why they hurt more. Turns out the nerve endings are on the outer layers of the skin and are still intact which can make people feel more pain. Larger and deeper wounds damage the nerve endings which also destroys the ability to feel.

Just like how a third degree is worse than the second but the people who have it are numb.

But I'd rather have any wounds than have a second-degree burn.

And I'd rather have a second-degree burn than feel pain every time I breathe.

Oh, fuck. Why am I remembering and comparing every pain now?

But yeah. It is fascinating to understand the human body so I'll know what to do and what to avoid.

I removed the window glasses from my skin, which were commonly in my left arm, even though my ribs are killing me.

The tetanus shot we got should work or else I'd fucking die here without any comms or electricity for days.

Slowly taking off my jacket, my jaw and my eyes turned into wide saucers when I saw the bruises on my torso.

I am black and blue but red is taking over since it is still new but I am certain I'll be purple tomorrow or the next day.

"Shit." I hissed as I grabbed the flashlight and pointed it at my body.

I was aware it'll be ugly. I didn't know it'd be this ugly. I see more bruises than skin! This is so fucking bad. It looks so horrible and painful as I feel.

Commonly, bruises are unsightly because of the discoloration but this is so fucked up.

My cheeks twitched as I moved the light.

The most prominent bruise is where I was hit through the vest. On the left side of my stomach, there is one from the bullet just like its size and a huge area surrounding it is now in deep colors.

On the other side, I am certain it is when an enemy kicked me and when the ATV somersaulted.

My rib injury was caused by those three or more that I can't recall for sure. I hope they heal instead of getting worse.

I scoffed which earned a grimace as well.

Cerise was full of bruises as well but that was because Randall was a careless motherfucker.

Those hickeys are so awful. There are huge ones that are so red when she was just done taking a shower.

The hitches in her breath and the goosebumps on her stomach and arms are too unmistakable while I was suturing her skin.