Chapter 1

I SMIRKED when the rounds exploded after I tossed it on the fire

I SMIRKED when the rounds exploded after I tossed it on the fire. The cases flew everywhere in the place, some in synchronization and others were not. The sound imitated the fireworks display in a festival. But my ears can differentiate the two. Anyone in the guild of course. The gunshots seem like home to me. It doesn't make me flinch anymore. Not nearly insane to give me an arousal though.

I finished the canned booze I was holding.

I'll be feigning if I say the ranks don't concern me. When I have the chance to step to a higher stone, the chemicals in my brain react. My ego's skyrocketing. Who wouldn't? The missions and the number of kills are the measurements. It surely pushes us to want more.

I've witnessed and caused deaths. Several more is nothing.

Yet, I'm not aiming to be the guild leader. That's still a long path to take but I have no interest. I enjoy what I do. That's it. Or fuck. I don't know. My skills will put me where it wants to put me.

I glanced at my sports watch. The dress and the luxurious ones do not define me. It's past seven in the evening. Could be a good time to have a run. Sometimes I do it in the morning and afternoon. But fuck noontime in a tropical country.

Routines aren't suited for us. Predictable is equated to termination. Notably in an encounter. Playing fair is stupid. That's why some of the kills we got are effortless. We just have to wait and bam!

Retiring to my room, I had a quick change. Training shorts, and a wife beater. It's interesting how the clothing got its name.

A man beat his wife until he killed her while wearing the sleeveless shirt. He was in headlines as the wife beater. Death holds so much history. So much were untold.

My doorbell rang. Who would that be? I was tempted to get my gun.

I peaked at my curtains. My eyes narrowed when I saw a lady in her middle twenties behind my gate. She was patiently waiting while trying to know if someone's in the house. I decided to attend to her when she pressed the button again.

Her face lit up when I came out of my door. I faked a smile so I wouldn't give her a dark impression. I hope it didn't turn out to be a grimace.

"What is it?" I sauntered towards her. She's so small. The awe in her eyes when she found out our height difference was palpable.

"Uh, mukhang abala ka ataㅡ"

I repeated my question so she can refrain from humming and hawing. Fear registered on her face. It didn't bother me. I was used to it. I just hate people wasting my time.

"Birthday kasi ng kapatid ko, iimbitahin lang sana kita sa bahay pero ayos lang naman kung hindi ka papayag." She laughed nervously.

"I'm coming. Thank you for inviting me."

"A-ano? Talaga?" She stuttered.

I gave her a nod. It's a pretty good way to ruin my routine. And who am I to refuse food? I'm too lazy to cook now. Sure as hell, firewaters will be served. I need more now.