Chapter 12

(Brunswick Farm, A Long Time Ago)

The farm has been quiet for quite some time as Remus walk through the central yard, carrying two backpacks stuffed with supplies. The boy is visibly tired with bags under his eyes. He approaches one of the houses and simply pushes the unlocked door open as though it had been left there. He works his way upstairs and opens the door to Aventine's room where he sets both backpacks near the door. Remus soon approaches Ave's bed and speaks in an almost panicking tone.

Remus: "Something's wrong, Ave... no one is waking up... I had to pack up these travel bags... so we could travel together... I even snuck into your grandpa's storeroom to get that jam that you like... even though... the seller scares me..."

He looks to see his friend have not said anything to him back as he goes to touch her skin to find it ice cold and see that she isn't breathing. Slowly coming to grips with painful realization, Remus spends a minute fighting back the tears and choking down the sobs before he manages to compose himself, though it's very clear he's nowhere near stable.

Remus: "G-Goodbye, Ave..."

As he said this, he takes one of the backpacks with him as he leaves his friend's room, not looking back. Outside, Remus walk away from the farm, sparing one last look at it before continuing on his way. 

__________________________________________________________________

(Beacon Academy)

At the airship dock, Team CVFY are sitting around a campfire as a couple of tents are behind them. The team of upperclassmen are having a nice cup of coffee to wind down after a long day of fighting. 

Coco: "Nothing like a cup of coffee to rid all the stress away."

Despite the evident exhaustion, they all seem to be in better spirits. 

Fox: "Hey guys, I overheard from a different team mentioning that Professor Peach's group managed to secure the school's cafeteria once and for all."

Hearing this, Velvet let out a sigh of relief.

Velvet: "It's almost over."

Yatsu smiles at her only to sour when he looks over at the Wyvern, still perched firmly at the top of Beacon Tower and still frozen in place.

Yatsu: "Unless we find a way to remove or destroy the Wyvern, the campus will never be quite safe."

Velvet curls in on herself as she responds.

Velvet: "It's certainly not for a lack of trying."

Coco, who is working on her weapon, retorts back.

Coco: "Oh, we'll figure it out, even if it means destroying the whole tower or use a giant crane to drag that damn thing away from Vale completely."

Fox just sits back languidly, stretching his legs as he replies.

Fox: "I'm happy that we won't be around for that job."

Velvet corrects him on that.

Velvet: "I don't think we might be around for that job. Our applications haven't been approved yet."

Fox fires back.

Fox: "What are they going to do? Reject us? Knock us back a year? You're understanding how relaxed things are in Vacuo. More than likely, they'll just throw us in the third years until it's a sink or swim and frankly, I'm pretty good at the butterfly paddle at this rate."

After sipping his coffee, Yatsu chimes in.

Yatsu: "It's butterfly strokes, Fox."

Fox: "Whatever."