II

Jess turned up the music in the house at full volume and started cleaning. She usually did it on Saturday mornings before work in the garage, so their house wouldn't look like a dumpster. James didn't care at all. After Cherry's death, he almost spent the night in the workshop, or sat with his colleagues in the bar around the corner drinking beer. Jess was never close to him, but she was grateful that he provided her with a roof over her head and, despite his tough nature, showed her concern.

Besides, Jess was careful not to cause trouble for her adoptive parents. She wasn't one of those rebellious teenagers. Cherry once remarked that Jess had never been a child. She didn't have a chance.

She was just what she was.

She quickly cleaned up, turned on the washing machine, put the chicken in the oven, and went to the workshop. James must have been talking to a customer, so she went to the other side to see what car was next in line. She recognized them immediately and walked to the front where a second car, a black Chevrolet, was parked in the driveway. It was too late to turn back, because the red-haired woman was staring straight at her as the blond man next to her, probably her husband, was talking to James.

Cursing inwardly, she walked over to them.

"Jess, you can take the Toyota, probably need to change the oil and check where it's leaking." The girl just nodded and turned towards the garage, ignoring the disgusted look of the blonde and the curious look of Mrs. Trenton. She was grateful that James had assigned her this task. She decided to check this car as thoroughly as possible. She had drained the oil when James entered the garage.

"It's a minor glitch, the guy said to keep it cheap, so don't focus too much on it. There's supposed to be more customers this afternoon." James grunted and walked over to the other car.

Jess scoffed but didn't say anything else. She was going to do the job thoroughly anyway, she didn't want Mrs. Trenton or her children to get hurt.

"Are you checking every inch of this car? Have you even pumped up the tires? Damn, girl, if we keep doing this to everyone for that money, it's going to go bankrupt."

"I made this one extra, okay? You don't have to pay me for it." Jess grunted, wiping her hands.

"Any sentiment?" James made a joke, but seeing Jess' expression only cleared his throat. "Reverse it to the driveway, we'll take the next one."

They ate dinner in silence. And returned to the workshop. In the afternoon, the Trentons came to pick up the car. This time Jess was lying under the car when someone lightly touched her leg, surprised, she wheeled out from under the car, meeting face to face with Mrs. Trenton, who crouched next to her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

Jess nodded, not really knowing how to react. Her heart pounded in her chest.

"I wanted to thank you. Your father said you took care of my car yourself."

"It's a car service, it's my job." Jess grunted, glad that the grease barely made her face visible because her cheeks were already warm.

"Thank you anyway. Also for yesterday."

"Why did you choose this service?" Jess asked before she could bite her tongue.

"We have been living here for a short time, friends recommended it to us." Mrs. Trenton smiled slightly. "They said you were the best around."

"That's nice." Jess grunted, not knowing what to say to that. "Where did you move from?"

"New York."

"NYC? You moved from NYC to this shithole?" Jess raised her eyebrows in disbelief. Mrs. Trenton laughed at her reaction.