XXIII

Two months have passed like this. Eventually, Isabelle's ankle healed and she was overjoyed to finally be able to move normally. She helped Jess with painting and ordered a large window for the workshop. Jess was assembling furniture when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Take a break, huh?" Isabelle smiled at her as she handed her the tea. It was raining outside, as it had been for the last few days, and Jess had already turned on the house heating. She knew that Isabelle dreamed of a fireplace and she already had a plan on how she would install it. She was just waiting for the woman to go on a two-day trip with the students the following week. She smiled to herself as she thought about the idea. It was her own idea and she paid for it herself.

"What makes you so happy?" Isabelle asked, amused.

"Nothing." Jess grunted, still with a stupid look on her face.

"We're meeting Kate and Tara today, right?" The woman asked.

"Yes." Jess sighed as she sipped her tea. "Be prepared for a million questions. They definitely won't let you live."

"Can't wait." Isabelle smiled warmly. Jess liked that smile. She knew he was always honest and true. "I want to meet those girls who have stuck with you all these years."

"I do not understand what you mean." Jess muttered, blushing.

"You're not very social." Isabelle ruffled Jess's hair affectionately.

"I thought you liked it."

"I like you." Isabelle said simply, looking at Jess with a mixture of nervousness. Jess froze, still feeling the woman's fingers in her hair. "I'm sorry if I'm too direct."

"I like you too." Jess said quietly. She stood up and stood in front of the woman.

"What we are going to do with it?" Isabelle asked, looking into the brunette's eyes. "I know the past is bothering you. Are you able to forget it?"

"I wish." Jess sighed and without thinking too much, she moved closer to Isabelle's lips and kissed her. The woman returned the kiss after a while.

Kate and Tara squealed when they saw Jess and moved towards her through the crowded nightclub. It was Jess's first time in such a place and she already had a headache from the noise as soon as she entered. Isabelle grabbed her hand so they wouldn't get lost in the crowd. Tara raised her eyebrows at their joined hands and cast a questioning glance at Jess, who just scratched her head. Kate was also watching them.

"We have a table over there." Tara said loudly, leading them to a corner.

They sat down and ordered drinks. Only Jess didn't drink.

"How did you get that creep into the club?" Kate asked Isabelle.

"I thought she could use a break from her comfort zone because she acts like my grandma." Isabelle joked and the girls burst out laughing.

"It's so good to get out of the house." Tara laughed, sipping her drink. "You have no idea how exhausting little kids are."

"So why do you have one?" Kate asked sarcastically.

"I can't imagine not having him." Tara replied and Jess looked at her friend who seemed fulfilled. There was a sparkle in her eyes and her features became mature. "Do not look at me like this." Tara punched Jess playfully on the shoulder. "I've changed since we last saw each other."

"Are you talking about school? You were a cheerleader back then. Who would have thought that a barbie like you would be a happy wife and mother, and a doctor at that." Kate said mockingly.