XII

"I'm your only friend and you still dare to be late?" Kate pretended to be offended when Jess finally dragged herself to her, nearly two hours late.

"I'm sorry," Jess gasped. Her throat was sore, her hands were cold, and she could barely feel her fingers.

"Oh my god, Jess!" Kate screamed pulling her inside, Jess squinted into the light. She felt weak. Kate touched the brunette's forehead.

"You have a fever and your hands are icy. Wait, I'll call my dad."

Jess leaned against the wall, almost sliding down. She didn't know what was going on around her. She heard some conversation, raised voices... and then she heard nothing.

She woke up quite rested, but still weak. She wanted to bring her hand to her face, but she felt something stuck to it. She opened her eyes.

She was lying in a hospital bed with drip tubes attached to her arm.

"Finally." James sighed with relief as he approached her from the armchair in the corner. "You scared me, kid."

"What happened?" Jess croaked.

"Pneumonia, dehydration and almost frostbite. The doctor also said you were deficient in vitamins. So they put in some drips."

Jess nodded.

"Your friend is waiting outside. She's been sitting here since yesterday."

"Who?"

"I think her name is Kate." James said winking at Jess meaningfully.

"Let her come in." The brunette said weakly.

She closed her eyes and after a moment felt someone grab her hand gently.

"How do you feel?" Kate asked. Jess saw that the girl was tired.

"Alright. You brought me here?"

"My dad. You really scared us when you passed out in the hallway."

"Sorry." Jess muttered.

"You don't have to apologize, just promise you'll take care of yourself, okay? You're my favorite nerd friend."

Jess nodded, suddenly feeling tears spring to her eyes. She sucked in a breath, but she couldn't help it, she felt so helpless again, naked like a small, scared child who was still alive somewhere inside her and who still couldn't deal with her emotions.

She was crying.

Kate sat up quickly on the bed, pulling her close and hugging her, Jess hugged her for dear life.

"You know you can talk to me about anything, okay? I'm sorry I don't know how to help you..." Kate whispered in her ear.

"Just hold me." Jess replied through tears.

***

Jess left the hospital two days later. She was supposed to take antibiotics and stay in bed. James drove over to the school to make excuses for her absence, and Kate came to her every day, bringing homework and lunches from Mrs. Backswill, who seemed to be convinced, that the girl was malnourished.

They were sitting together on Jess's bed writing an application for Standford when Jess got a text from Eva.

Let's meet at the old pitch.

She ignored her. Mrs. Trenton hadn't spoken to her once since their exchange two weeks ago, and Jess felt like shit, slowly forgetting who she was and what she wanted. The redhead broke something in her and the brunette wasn't sure if she wanted a confrontation again.