Chapter 1: Prologue

The bustling streets of Heartland City were beginning to quiet down as the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows along the pavement. Among the throng of students making their way home from Heartland Academy, a 14 year old Y/N walked with an air of practiced nonchalance. He was a background character in the lives of those around him, invisible and unnoticed, which was exactly how he preferred it. It wasn't as if he hated talking to people, but rather he just enjoyed his own company.

The weight of his backpack was a familiar sensation on his shoulders as he strolled past a small convenience store. Y/N's sharp eyes assessed the situation: the shop-owner was busy tending to a display outside, leaving the entrance momentarily unguarded. Without hesitation, Y/N's fingers nimbly snatched a couple of wrapped sandwiches from a shelf near the door, his movements quick and precise.

Slipping the stolen food into his bag, Y/N continued on his way, a small but triumphant smile tugging at his lips. Survival in the streets had taught him resourcefulness, and this was just another small victory in the battle to sustain himself.

When he finally reached his makeshift home within a local junkyard, the last rays of daylight filtered through the jumble of discarded machines and debris. Y/N's "home" was a small nook he had carved out for himself, hidden away from the prying eyes of the city. It was a space where he felt a sense of ownership, a place where he could tinker and create to his heart's content without being bothered.

Seated cross-legged on the ground, Y/N spread out his stolen loot and began eating, his mind already whirring with potential ideas. The gadgets and gizmos strewn around him were his companions, his confidants in a world that had never shown him kindness.

Among the clutter, his fingers danced over a half-finished device—a wristband adorned with a crude holographic interface, this device was to soon be a sort of rechargeable stun grenade. Scuffed and dented, it bore the marks of countless trials and errors. Y/N's brows furrowed in concentration as he worked, his vision fixated on the exposed wires adorning the sides of the device.

Unbeknownst to anyone, the fading daylight marked the transition of Y/N's identity. As night descended upon the city, Y/N shed his public facade, transforming into the enigmatic figure known as HIRO.

------------------------------------

HIRO's steps were soundless as he prowled the rooftops, his dark blue armoured suit blending with the shadows. Tonight's patrol had led him to a dimly lit alley where two figures menaced a lone civilian. HIRO's presence was a harbinger of justice, an unseen force that struck fear into the hearts of wrongdoers.

In an instant, HIRO jumped down to the ground and appeared in front of the civilian, ready to protect them from the criminals. Soon after, HIRO summoned his duel disk, the holographic interface materialising in the moonlit alley. The two criminals sneered at their masked opponent, unaware of the storm they were about to face.

Being polite to the criminals, HIRO allowed both of them to duel him at the same time.

HIRO: "Tell you what, I'm in a generous mood tonight, so how about you both duel me at the same time?"

Realising their potential advantage, both criminals rush to get their duelling equipment ready.

Criminal (1): "Come on! If we do this now then we can beat him!"