Chapter 2: Guardian

In the bustling corridors of Heartland Academy, students hurry to their classes, their youthful voices weaving a lively tapestry of sound. 

Amidst the flow of fellow students, a now 16 year old Y/N walks with an air of practiced detachment, his attention wandering back and forth between his studies and his fellow classmates. His presence was aloof, yet he engages in his schoolwork, marking him a quiet student within the academic environment.

As classes transition throughout the day, Y/N remains somewhat focused, his gaze on the many notes inscribed on the screen in front of him. The lessons take hold of his concentration, leaving him tethered to the realm of the classroom, though not entirely isolated from his surroundings, as every so often, he speaks with a few of his classmates, two of which being a boy named Yuma and a girl named Tori.

 The lessons take hold of his concentration, leaving him tethered to the realm of the classroom, though not entirely isolated from his surroundings, as every so often, he speaks with a few of his classmates, two of which being a boy named Yuma and...

Y/N: "Yuma, for the last time... the x goes BEFORE the 9."

Yuma: "UUUUUGGGGHHHHH.... Why did they have to add letters to math! It makes it sooo much harder!"

Tori: "Well, to be fair Yuma, even without the letters, you still sucked at math."

------------------------------------

During the designated Duel Period, Y/N chose to not participate in favour of silent observation on the sidelines. His stood to the side with Tori with crossed arms, overlooking Yuma's duel against another friend of their's named Bronk. The intricate display of monsters and spells unfolded before him, and while the excitement of the duel captivated his peers, Y/N's attention was drawn to its strategic intricacies rather than the thrill of the duel.

------------------------------------

After the final bell heralds the end of classes, Y/N walked alongside Yuma and Tori toward the school exit. The trio's footsteps echo through the corridor as casual conversations between passing students filled the air. Yuma, ever the inquisitive and energetic spirit, once again brings up the subject of Y/N's absence from duelling, confused by the presence of a deck box on his belt.

Yuma: "Hey Y/N, why do you have a Deck box attached to your belt when you don't duel? Do you actually have a deck?"

Y/N's reply is succinct, a mere whisper of his current thoughts. 

Y/N: "Mainly just for aesthetic reasons honestly."