Chapter 1 - Born Under a Dark Sky

I always found it difficult to fully embrace the present because of my fear of not knowing what the future had in store for me. In a world of endless possibilities, I stand at the crossroads of uncertainty, unsure of who I really am and the boundless potential that lies within. Am I more human than monster? Or just a wolf hiding amongst the herd?

"Gotcha!" A pair of hands grip at my shoulders, catching me by surprise as I yelp. "Seth, don't do that!", I yell at him. "What? I couldn't resist it. That's what you get for drifting off." Seth Clearwater. Leah's younger brother and good company to keep around. Here on First Beach, Seth joins me on a log, watching the other fools from his family/friend group play with a football. I've been good friends with them ever since I helped Billy Black with his insomnia and the amazing food they make always has me coming back for more. Maybe that's why I've strayed a bit close to them.

"What are you thinking about, Pom? That thousand-yard stare isn't there for nothing.", He asks. Pom is short for Pomegranate because that's apparently what I smell like, despite me asking Charlie, which he replied saying I smell like diesel fuel. Thanks. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you. It'll sound like a ghost story.", I replied. "Ah. Girl problems- or really lack thereof. Sorry. I guess I can say the same thing though. Tell me, Y/n, you ever think that special someone is out there?"

I feel my phone vibrate and take it out to see Charlie's confirmation message of Bella's arrival. Two weeks out of every summer, she'd come up here and we'd hang out around town, but it's been too long since we've seen one another. Charlie was ecstatic in his own little way, despite how awkward he can be sometimes, but I loved him for who he was.

"Gotta go, Seth. Bella's with her dad.", I say, getting up from the dead log and wiping any sand that managed to get stuck on me. "Alright! See ya later!" Jacob and Billy were probably on their way, so I'd most likely be the last one to show up. On top of the plateau where grass and sand meet, my jeep waits for me as it scours the beach before it.

Shutting the door as I get in, I turn to the passenger seat to see the gift I was planning on giving her: an orange backpack

Shutting the door as I get in, I turn to the passenger seat to see the gift I was planning on giving her: an orange backpack. Uncreative, I get it, but I was short on time and I know she wouldn't have much to start off on her first day of school. starting the car, I began making my way to Charlie's house.

 starting the car, I began making my way to Charlie's house