A Short Passage Through Time

My fingers playfully swirl through Alice's pointy strands of hair as she laid herself onto me, sleeping. A favorite pass time, finally revitalized for the Cullens. It was a hassle to get some of them on board, simply because they were all too skeptic and unfamiliar with Weaver magic. Though once they did, they couldn't stop pestering me, despite already giving them my recipe.

Thankfully, these last few months since our run down with James have been quiet. After killing James, I thought Victoria would be after our necks thereafter, but she has yet to show up, making me believe she's scurried off the map and went into hiding. 

As of now, Alice and I found a quiet bench, one that overlooks a stagnant lake and decided to fall asleep to the sounds around us. Just woken up, the bright sun that had shined above us was now covered by a blanket of clouds and a cool breeze had picked up. 

There was also something in the lake that wasn't there before. 

Floating near the rocky shoreline, something small had drifted toward the edge. Slowly moving off the bench and out of Alice's clasp, I walk over to what it could be. Reaching the shoreline, I look down to see my clear reflection before kneeling to pick up the object from the water. 

In my hand was a small, wooden figurine of a deer, spotted with small blemishes. Not only was it hand-carved, but it looked rather old like an antique of that nature. Flipping it to its stomach, two initials were etched into the wood: L.B.

From there on, I figured the deer was an old toy belonging to a child from way back when. What made me come to that realization was when I suddenly started smelling that same familiar scent of burning wood I had previously encountered back at the hospital. Putting the toy down, I look back at my reflection to see a dark figure, looking exactly like me, standing only a few inches away, staring right back.  

Y/n: "Long time since we've seen each other, Ophelia

Y/n: "Long time since we've seen each other, Ophelia."

Ophelia: "Is that so..?"

Y/n: "..Didn't expect to see you down all the way in Phoenix."

Ophelia: "The hymns of the world have begun to sing to me once more..and so it was bound our paths to cross yet again. How do you fare, Y/n? I did not enjoy seeing you so vulnerable in that state, last I saw."

Y/n: "Better now, though I feel I have lost a step in my footing... Tell me, back in the hospital, what did you mean by 'great things yet to come'?"

Ophelia: "Don't ask meaningless questions, Y/n. You already know the answer to that..I never deemed you as a fool.."

Y/n: "Then how?...and why now?"

Ophelia: "In time. Yesss.. In time.."

Her eyes wander before promptly looking back, spotting Alice on the bench. 

Ophelia: "And the girl..who is the cursed one?"

Y/n: "...Someone dear to me. You'd know all about that, right?"

Ophelia: "Careful, child.. Best to be aware of her kind. That, I know all about."

Y/n: "She's not like the rest. She and her family are more human than they seem."

Ophelia: "All the same to me. But please...heed and stay safe, mein süßer kleiner Jäger.."

Turning around to try to give her back the toy, she instantly disappears from sight, leaving behind a faint, yet visible cloud of ash.

Ophelia and I have had our history tangled a few years back when we first moved here. Her simple, yet sudden appearance is not short of an omen of what is yet to come. The only thing I worry is if I'm ready for what that could be.

623 Words