Chapter 3 - Aspects of Being Human

1k views!?!?! 🫨 YAYYYY!!!YIPPIEEEE!!WAHOOOOO!!!! Tytyty Lovely Readers! >:3

A truck beeps as it reverses back onto the road, trying to align the concrete mixer with the gigantic footprints smashed into the pavement. It was mid-day and the road was being blocked off by construction and a few police cruisers with their lights blaring.

Not too far from the footprint, Detective Hopkins stands idling by, analyzing a photo they had taken of it before looking back as wet cement plasters into its shape.

"Hey, do you really believe people'll buy the whole 'promotional stunt' sketch? I'm sure even a kid could tell it's a lie."

A man, much taller than Hopkins, stands next to her, unaware of his presence as she dwells deep in her thoughts.

"Hey..? Still awake, right?" They say, their hand on her shoulder as he lightly shakes her awake. His skin, a darker complexion.

Hopkins: "Yeah? Oh. Hey, Benny." She says, glancing at him for a second before looking right back.

Harlan: "Don't tell me you've been going at it nonstop."

Hopkins: "Guess I won't tell you.."

Harlan: "Oh- c'mon, Hopkins. You look miserable! You been up all night doing this?"

Hopkins: "A single night doesn't get me looking like this, trust me."

Harlan "Benny" Blanc, has been assigned to work alongside Detective Hopkins as her partner, but have known each other since law school.

Harlan: "Then hopefully this'll help.."

He hands her a coffee cup. Three sugars and a creamer to hopefully get her eyes from drooping. She grabs it and takes a quick sip before facing him.

Hopkins: "You get anything from their file?"

Harlan: "Only thing out of the ordinary was a late transfer between schools this year. Who knows, maybe they finally decided to move out of Moms right after graduation."

Hopkins: "I doubt it."

Harlan: "I'm pretty sure it's a lot more common than you think."

Hopkins: "Any records from their parents?"

Harlan: "No record, but there is something you might like, despite any correlating evidence, like everything else you've overlooked."

Hopkins: "What?"

Harlan: "The family had previously moved from Phoenix a few years back. At that same time, a string of murders and missing persons reports plagued nearby towns, including inside the reservation and in Forks."

Hopkins looks back at the picture, contemplating the information before looking back up at Harlan.

Hopkins: "Let's go back into town and get us some pie." She says, smacking the photo onto his chest to hold.

☽ 🌸

The lake by my home was no longer stagnant on this day. Small, gentle waves had formed from the touch of soft breezes that had greeted us. From the dark clouds broke a shimmer of light that had shined down upon the earth, the very waters that make it glisten.

Alice wanted to meet with me here. It was a relief to finally have her eyes meet mine. It had felt like a few days had passed since that fiasco, but it had just been that one night.

She was at that bench that we had sat many a time before together. Despite the relentless torture of scratching, biting from wild animals and from the harsh weather, the old wooden bench stood strong, just like the day it was made to stand before this lake.