Chapter 5 - Dancing Amongst the Shadows

I am now positive about three things. First, the Cullens are Vampires. I had thought they were nothing more than exaggerated versions of rabies or Mad cow disease, but it turns out there's more truth than fiction to their nature. Second, there is so much more out there in the world that my Father never told us about. The Cullens and his book are evidence of that. Why wouldn't he tell us? Why hide it? Lastly, without a doubt in my mind, I had fallen head over heels for Alice. That night, she had left me feeling a way I haven't felt in what feels like forever. Feeling understood? Her acception? Perhaps another spot to hide within?

Leaving the jeep parked by a nearby bridge, we descended below into a dense patch of trees before we found a spot to relax together. We touched shoulders as we sat on top of these large, rounded boulders, taking in the scenery of Washington's wilderness with each other's company.

Alice: "Is Rowan like you? Dream Weaver, I mean. He doesn't smell as sweet compared to you- not to make it creepy or anything.."

Y/n: "Far from it, actually. He's fully Human. At first, I thought Mom was having an affair, but our similarities and testing proved otherwise. He'll always be my brother, but in my eyes, he's a genetic miracle."

Alice: "Because you've always seen yourself as a monster?"

Y/n: "Ain't that the truth..... How old are you, by the way? Don't Vampires live for thousands of years?" Quickly changing the subject.

Alice: "I thought you weren't supposed to ask a woman her age?" Alice catches on.

Y/n: "No way you're going to play that card."

Alice: "I'm kidding, I'm kidding~..... 104."

Y/n: "104?!"

Alice: "Geez, don't go making me sound old." She laughed, "If you really want to know who the oldest is, that honor would go to Carlisle. He's like...super ancient."

Y/n: "Older than-"

Alice: "Ah! Not another word. It's my turn~. Are you actually able to eat Human food?"

Y/n: "Well, yeah. Normally, a Dream Weaver would puke at the sight of a burger or whatever is considered normal to eat, but I'm also part-Human because of my mom, so I can eat any of their food just fine."

Alice: "And you can still feed on people's dreams? You're like..right down the middle. Best of both worlds.. You have a favorite?"

Y/n: "Yeah! I LOVE bacon. It's super duper delicious and I can't get enough from it. ^_^ You only drink blood, right? Y'now..given your nature?"

Alice: "We do, but only animal blood. Carlisle has us on a special diet, so that we don't have to hurt people. Human blood, just a single drop could flip someone's switch. Put them in a frenzy. We're practically vegetarians in a way, but it's how we get by."

Y/n: "Sounds..scary..but it doesn't sound particularly satisfying either. Carlisle's why you're like this? Why you don't hurt people?"

Alice: "He's not the only reason." Her gentle eyes look through mine, gracing my soul.

I got to give it to Alice, she and the Cullens are a tough bunch of cookies. I doubt I'd ever make it far if I had to live like that, especially if I'm going to school with walking, talking bags of food.

Alice: "C'mon, you can't go radio silent on me~!" Alice asks as she catches me staring.

Y/n: "Well...you said that you have psychic powers, right? Is it just you or does anyone else have them?"

Alice: "Edward can understand whatever a person's thinking."

Y/n: "He can- w- wait, He can hear whatever I'm saying in my head? That's...creepy..Ugh.." I say, quaking in my boots.