Chapter 2 - Tainted Roots Unearthed

"I felt this hunger a few years back, but that's because I was only enabled by someone. Someone I haven't seen in a long time..."

Large trees collapse and timber below as red tendrils whip through their trunks like butter, causing pieces of wood to fly everywhere. Across from the destruction, lined up perfectly, were dummy targets made up of sandbags with mocking faces drawn onto buckets. With much stored energy from the last few months of helping the Cullens regain their sleeping patterns, Y/n used the opportunity to train their capabilities. 

Bolts of yellow, flaming sparks shoot out from above their head towards the target dummies yards away. A few successfully land on two of the four, burning through the bags as shards of glass poke out, while the rest miss, landing behind the others. 

Disappearing as Y/n dashes away from view, only to reappear in front of the dummies, slicing off their heads by spinning, whipping their tendrils violently across the line. 

"Child..." 

Back on the other side of the field, Y/n spots Ophelia as they turn, pointing behind her as to navigate their view elsewhere. Suddenly feeling something attached to a tentacle, they pull them up in front of them. 

Y/n: "Now, how did you get there?"

One of the buckets had been pierced by a thorn and ended up sticking to one of the tendrils, now grabbing it and tossing it away. 

Quickly dashing to the other side of the field, Ophelia looks up to them as they stand, looming over her. 

Ophelia: "Gut. You're quicker than you were earlier. Fast learner as always." Ophelia says as Y/n begins stretching, almost cat-like, bones cracking in the process. "Here."

Ophelia hands them back a thermos Y/n had given her to fill as she went out to hunt. It's sealed shut, yet reeks of blood. 

Y/n: "Thank you."

Y/n takes it, hiding it in their tendrils as they turn away to look at the destruction of their training. 

Ophelia: "Why care so much for these cursed ones, Jäger? When they are responsible for your kind's destruction?"

Y/n: "These ones haven't. They've saved me before, remember?"

Ophelia: "It matters not what they've done for you. Even without their help, you have always been more than capable enough to survive. It is best to save yourself than allowing that putrid corpse to falsely comfort her foo-"

Y/n turns to back around to face her, the husked cavern above their mouth on eye-level with Ophelia's.  

Y/n: "Not another word...you disrespect her, you disrespect me. Do. Not. Speak ill of her or her family again.."