Chapter 4 - Surviving Without You

I passed out that night. Sam had found me unconscious in Alice's room, despite his distain for the Cullens. He ended up carrying me back to Charlie's where I was checked into our local clinic. Carlisle's workplace. He wasn't anywhere around either.

I was later discharged and babied by my own mother, despite her knowing how dangerous it was for them for having me around so long. She didn't care.

She had me strapped to a machine and IV drip she had setup in my room. She wasn't the only one in the house worried. Rowan was afraid seeing me in the state I was in.

The next few days gnawed at me as I was trying to piece together why things went the way they did. Alice said it herself that she'd let me know once they figured everything out. So then, why did she choose silence over her farewell?

Sam: "Let me get this straight. You've been this...dream-eater this entire time and decided not to tell anybody?"

Y/n: "Dream Weaver...though, that works too. Asshole move, I know, but what the hell do you think I'm going to do? 'Hey Sam, hope everything's going well at home oh, by the way, I'M A MONSTER!!' "

I was out within the reservation, near Sam's place. After being bedridden, I figured I owed Sam some sort of explanation as soon as I could leave the house. It had rained the last few days. I was sitting on top of a log with my boots drenched by the wet moss. Sam stood with some distance between us.

My mind and body had been exhausted and completely drained after that night. I have this urge to cry, but too has that been exhausted. Despite my Mother's demand to rest, I've hardly had any. Not that I don't try. Even she knows that nothing is more dangerous than an insomnolent Dream Weaver.

Sam: "Why'd show yourself to me that night? You would've continued on like nothing and I'd be none the wiser."

Y/n: "I..I dunno. Maybe I'm just tired who I am. It doesn't feel any better hiding this from friends or family."

Sam: "But it did?"

Y/n: "Never."

Despite how friendly I was trying to be, Sam had kept his distance from me. But as he heard me out, the fold of arms released and the space between us has shortened as he stepped closer.

Sam: "All that about your family..?"

Y/n: "Just my old man. I'm the only one who bears his curse."

Sam lets out a big sigh, turning around as he places his hands on his waist.

Y/n: "You..going to tell the rest?"

Sam: "...No. Not right now, at least. But the time will come when I will. Everyone has the right to know what you are."

Y/n: "..That they do..but I'm glad you were the first from here I've shown myself to."

Sam comes back around, offering his hand for me to take before lifting me onto my feet.

Sam: "I'm sure they'll understand. Especially since they all see you as family. Just come by every once and awhile. Till then, get some sleep and keep yourself clean. I can smell some smoke coming off you."

Y/n: "Smoke?"

Sam: "No need to be acting coy. Be seeing you, Y/n."

Sam turns, heading back to his lodge. As he does, I feel something cold beginning to move up my back before slithering out from my neck to face me.