34: You're a Thestral Boy, Harry

Thestral boy. You know, like a horse girl?

Summary: Tenebrus, a blink-and-you-miss-it character in Book 5, is elevated to a higher role. And on a totally unrelated note, someone ate Flitwick's (gilly)weed

Nobody batted an eye when Harry came to the Care of Magical Creatures class with Azure the goose in his arms, not even Zacharias Smith, though he did take a wary step away.

Sid, on the other hand, bounded forward and gave her a strip of food which Azure happily took.

Hagrid arrived shortly after and led the students to a part of the woods where the trees grew so close together the ground was snowless.

"Is this really a good idea?" muttered Justin, giving the shadowy woods a queasy glance.

"Honk!" Azure said unhelpfully.

"It's so dark," Padma whispered.

"It's okay," said Harry. "I got this." He stomped his feet and his shoes lit up, illuminating the area in yellow and blue.

Everyone jumped as Hagrid gave a strange bird-like cry. Nothing happened at first, so he repeated the sound.

And then the first thestral appeared between the trunks. Harry recognized Tenebrus and waved, earning him a few strange looks.

"The hell you waving at?" Zacharias muttered.

"Why, Zachy, don't tell me you don't see the skeletal horse-like creature over there?"

"It's a thestral," said Sid. "Not everyone can see them."

Hermione gave a soft gasp of recognition. "Of course! The only people who can see thestrals are people who have seen and processed death."

"Ten points to Ravenclaw!" Hagrid said, beaming at her. "And now —"

"Hem hem."

How fascinating that Umbridge's appearance did not make the thestrals suddenly visible to everyone.

"Honk!" Azure hissed.

Umbridge faltered upon seeing her, then proceeded to ignore her (rude) in favor of speaking to Hagrid. "I am here to inspect your class."

Harry and Hermione exchanged annoyed looks at the patronizing tone she was using.

"Again?" Hagrid said, looking confused. She had been there for the fifth year Gryffindor-Slytherin class as well.

"Indeed," said Umbridge. "I was interrupted last time, remember?"

How could Hagrid forget? The thestrals absolutely loved the carni-s'mores (carnivore s'mores) Ron and Sage had brought them.

Speaking of which, where was Sage?

"Anyway," said Umbridge, "the students ought to know that the Minister of Magic has classified thestrals as 'dangerous'."

Sage's arrival was accentuated by her flashing purple shoes and the sound of contents rattling about in a container she carried. "So are dogs, but we domesticated them anyway."

Umbridge continued as though Sage had not spoken (rude). "If you continue to bring dangerous animals to the school, I will have no choice but to replace you."

Hagrid blanched. "Now see here! Thestrals aren't dangerous! I mean, they might bite if you annoy them —"

("Like dogs!"

"And cats!"

"And vampire bats!")

"— but other than that, they won't hurt you — Harry, what are you doing?" Hagrid suddenly said.