3. Xavier the Killing Machine

In 3057, somewhere.

A silvery-haired man sat among the people in the room, waiting for the leader to open the meeting. In the meantime, the leader examined the attendees one by one.

"Good afternoon, Ladies and Gentleman," said the leader. "As we all know, John Myron has just been sent to take the IBM 5100 back to 1975. If his mission succeeds, all our efforts to destroy them will have been in vain. Today, we are gathered to discuss how to thwart John Myron from his mission. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas to share?"

A man raised his hand. "I have an idea, Sir."

The leader nodded. "Go ahead."

The man presented his opinion on how to solve their problem. The leader and the other attendees listened to the explanation intently. Everyone was silent as they thought about the suggestion of their colleague, and the leader had a visible crease on his forehead as he listened.

After the man finished, the leader looked around. "Anyone have any other suggestions?"

Everyone was silent, some looking down as the leader glanced across. However, a moment later, the silver-haired man raised his hand.

The leader nodded. "Go ahead, please."

The silver-haired man stood up confidently, "I don't think we should be concerned about John Myron. Instead, we should attack them now when they are off guard. I'm sure if we do that, victory will be in our hands."

The leader nodded repeatedly as he digested the thoughts. "Any other suggestions or perhaps a response?"

The blonde-haired woman raised her hand. "I do, Sir."

The chairman nodded. "Please, Margareth."

"I don't think they will let their guard down. As we know, they are not stupid. It's too reckless if we attack them now," said Margareth.

"Then what is your solution?" asked the leader, looking at Margareth.

"Before coming to this meeting, I could have guessed that we would discuss this matter. So ...." Margaret snapped her fingers.

Soon the door opened, and a man appeared. The man was stocky and tall, with wavy brown hair falling to his shoulders, partially covering his square face. He had a mustache that blended with his bushy beard, and his skin was almost as pale as the walls of the room. The whole room looked at the man and whispered.

"Xavier Ivanov. Our former soldier with outstanding achievements. Unfortunately, half of his body was damaged in battle a few years ago. However, I have replaced the broken half with a machine. Even now, his strength is equivalent to five elite troops of our enemies," Margareth explained.

***

Back in 1975, John, who had just arrived there, was surprised by someone. However, as an experienced military member, he was used to encountering the unexpected on missions. So he tried to remain calm and looked back. He saw a man in a police uniform walking towards him, showing his badge.

"What are you doing in the dark?" the policeman asked when he arrived in front of John.

"I just came home from work and passed this way," John said.

"Do you think I believe you?" The policeman looked John up and down. "Show me your identity card."

Card? Did Dwight prepare it? John thought as he fumbled in his belt. He pulled a plain white card out of his pocket. But the card changed in an instant, just before John handed it over to the police. The card showed a false identity with the name "William Richmond."

The policeman looked at the identity on the card. "Please, if you'd like to continue walking home. I apologize for disturbing you, Sir."

After taking the card, John walked away. Curious, he asked Dwight or Nina at the control room, "Who is William Richmond?"

Soon, Dwight's voice came from his watch. "Why are you asking that?"

"I was almost caught by the police. Luckily your magic card turned into a card with William Richmond's name," John replied.

"Wait, let me check." There was silence for a few seconds before Dwight spoke again, "He's the son of a respected businessman."

"No wonder the policeman's attitude changed after reading his name. I'm lucky that he saw me in the dark; otherwise, he might have known that I wasn't that guy," said John.

"Be careful, John," Dwight replied.

"Don't worry," John said, then closed the communication line.

John walked quickly through the less crowded streets, occasionally looking at the watch that showed his destination. After reaching the end of the street, he turned right until he stopped near a building. This was the IBM building. John looked up at the roof of the building.

"I'd better go through there," John muttered.

John walked to the back of the building and observed the situation for a while. After making sure no one was nearby, he put on his gloves and pressed the hologram button on the gloves. Then he slowly climbed up the building, like a spider crawling on a wall.

With the device, it was not difficult for John to reach the roof of the building. He was there in less than five minutes. He glanced around until he spotted a door in one of the walls. John knew that through that door, he could get into the building.

"This mission is too easy." John smiled.

Just as he took a step, a vortex suddenly appeared in the air, not far from where he was. John was rooted to the spot, unable to believe what he was seeing. The vortex could not have existed if no one from the future had come there.

"No ...." John gasped as the vortex spun faster and faster.

Soon, a man emerged from the vortex and stood firmly nearby. The man was tall and well-built with shoulder-length hair. Yes, he was the one assigned to thwart John's mission. He was Xavier Ivanov.

Xavier looked at his watch before looking at John. His gaze was sharp and threatening, but at the same time, he seemed satisfied. "Captain Myron, it is rare for a time machine to deliver directly at the destination. I'm really lucky."

"Who are you? And how do you know me?" asked John, raising his guard.

Xavier grinned as he pointed a laser gun at John. "I am the one who will finish you, Captain John Myron."