21. A Brush with Danger

Nina quickly assessed her options, her mind racing to consider the best course of action to evade the looming threat. With each passing moment, the window of opportunity narrowed as the Roman soldier behind her moved to grasp her shoulder. Sensing the imminent danger, Nina's instincts kicked into overdrive, propelling her into swift action. In a split-second decision, Nina deftly sidestepped the soldier's looming grasp, her movements fluid and precise. With a swift motion, she pivoted on her heel, delivering a spinning kick that connected with the soldier's temple.

Nina's swift and decisive attack caught the other Roman soldiers off guard, momentarily stunning them with the unexpected display of agility and strength. But before they could react, Nina was already in motion, her instincts driving her to seize the opportunity to escape.

With a burst of speed, Nina sprinted towards the nearest city gate, her heart pounding in her chest as she raced against time. The imposing gate loomed before her, its massive wooden doors looming like a barrier between her and freedom. But Nina refused to be deterred, her determination fueling her every stride as she closed the distance with lightning speed.

As she reached the gate, Nina launched herself into the air, her muscles stretch with tension as she propelled herself upwards with all her might. With an agility born of desperation, she cleared the towering barrier, her fingertips brushing against the rough-hewn stone as she soared over the threshold and into the unknown beyond.

For a heartbeat, time seemed to stand still as Nina hung suspended in mid-air, the world a blur of motion and adrenaline-fueled exhilaration. Then, with a sharp intake of breath, she landed on the other side, her knee was a little sore as she absorbed the impact of his landing.

With a quick glance over her shoulder, Nina saw the Roman soldiers scrambling to pursue her, their shouts echoing in the air as they gave chase. Knowing that she couldn't afford to let them catch up, Nina wasted no time in disappearing into the throng of people milling about the bustling street of the ancient city.

Fearing capture, Nina pushed her way through the crowd, determined to reach the end of the crowd. With all the effort she could muster, she fought against the tide of people until finally, after a gruelling struggle, Nina appeared at the end of the crowd. Casting a quick glance over her shoulder to ensure that her pursuers were not within sight, Nina wasted no time in darting into a nearby alleyway, seeking refuge in a safe place.

Taking shelter behind a wall, Nina pressed herself against the rough surface, her breath coming in ragged gasps as she strained to listen for any sign of pursuit. For agonizing moments, she remained perfectly still, her senses alert for the faintest hint of danger. Time seemed to stretch on indefinitely as Nina waited in tense anticipation.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the sound of footsteps echoed faintly from the street beyond. With bated breath, Nina watched as the Roman soldiers passed by, their voices fading into the distance as they continued their fruitless search. Relief flooded through her as she realized that they had failed to spot her hiding place, allowing her to evade capture once more. However, she knew that she was not completely out of danger yet.

"Give me a headscarf," Nina oredered at her belt system.

Not long after, a surge of energy emanated from her belt, coursing through Nina's body and enveloping her head. Slowly, a fabric materialized, wrapping itself around Nina's head in a protective shroud. As the scarf settled into place, Nina murmured in satisfaction, pulling it up to cover her mouth, "Perfect."

Stepping out from the shelter of the narrow alleyway, Nina found herself standing at the edge of the bustling street, her mind racing with thoughts of how to locate Xavier amidst the chaos of the ancient city. Lost in contemplation, she was abruptly jolted from her reverie by a voice nearby.

"Miss, would you like me to paint your portrait?" a young man inquired in a foreign tongue, gesturing towards his canvas with a hopeful smile.

Nina's brows furrowed in confusion as she struggled to comprehend the stranger's offer. However, a sudden spark of inspiration ignited within her, prompting her to consider the possibility that this encounter could provide a unique opportunity to aid in her search for Xavier.

Nina approached the young artist with purpose, her steps deliberate as she drew nearer to where he sat with his canvas and brushes. As she came within speaking distance, she paused, casting a glance at the figure in his painting.

The young man looked up from his work, a hint of confusion appearing on his face. Not understanding Nina's intentions, he waited for her next move, his brow furrowing slightly in anticipation of her request. With graceful movements, Nina demonstrated that she was not the object of the painting, but someone else. She hoped her actions would convey her desire for the artist to understand her intentions.

The young man's expression remained puzzled, clearly struggling to decipher Nina's communication. "What do you mean, Miss?"

Nina could sense the young man's confusion reflected in his expression as she attempted to convey her intentions through gestures alone. Casting her gaze about, she searched for a focal point to redirect their interaction, her eyes alighting upon a small branch lying nearby on the ground. With a swift movement, she retrieved the branch.

Nina knelt down, her brow furrowed in concentration as she began to sketch a rough likeness of Xavier's face in the dirt. Each stroke of the branch was deliberate, every line imbued with the urgency of her quest. As the image took shape beneath her fingertips, Nina felt a surge of determination coursing through her veins, driving her onwards in her search for her missing foe.

Once satisfied with her depiction, Nina rose to her feet, the image of Xavier etched into the dirt. With a sense of purpose, she turned to face the young man once more, her gaze unwavering as she gestured towards the blank canvas behind him.

The young man's brows furrowed as he scrutinised the sketch before him, his eyes darting between the rough likeness on the ground and the blank canvas ready to receive his brushstrokes. For a moment, he seemed lost in thought, his mind wrestling with the request before him.

Then, as if a light had dawned, the young man's features softened with understanding, a flicker of recognition igniting in his eyes. With a decisive nod, he set to work; his brush poised to capture the essence of the figure Nina had sketched before him.

At first, the young man's painting fell short of satisfaction; Xavier's nose looked nothing like the original. However, Nina could empathize, considering her own sketch was far from perfect. Undeterred, Nina resumed her pantomime, hoping to convey her meaning to the young artist. Time and again, she repeated the gestures, striving to refine the painting.

Engrossed in her interaction with the painter, Nina remained unaware of the pair of eyes watching her from a distance. It seemed that Nina's presence had piqued the curiosity of this observer, whose gaze lingered on her intently, studying her every move with a keen interest.