16. The Fall of Two Ages

Xavier observed his opponent sharply, swinging a large sword with confidence. The gust of wind filled the air as the sword swiftly sliced through, heading towards Xavier. Despite the imposing stature of the big man, Xavier stood unfazed. He skillfully evaded the attack by leaping to the side.

The cheers of the audience echoed in the arena, intensifying the adrenaline of the two fighters in this spectacle. Xavier's opponent seemed eager to conclude the fight and charged once again. Xavier skillfully dodged, but another attack swiftly followed. Xavier, caught off guard by the sudden strike, momentarily staggered. Fortunately, he regained his balance and promptly launched a counter-attack. His bionic hand swung, clashing with his opponent's sword in a series of sparks.

The spectators were mesmerized by Xavier facing his adversary barehanded. The cheers from Xavier's supporters echoed throughout the arena. However, the opposing side's supporters were not silent; they too encouraged their fighter.

Meanwhile, the battle escalated, with both fighters attacking and defending. Every move was filled with precision and skill. The big man attempted to crush Xavier with large strides, but Xavier, more agile, continued to dodge nimbly.

In a split second, Xavier leaped high, attempting to land a solid kick to his opponent's chest. However, the colossal gladiator promptly blocked Xavier's kick with his round shield. Xavier was pushed back but swiftly regained his footing to unleash a series of consecutive attacks. Xavier's assaults were met with equal strength by his opponent, maintaining the equilibrium of the battle.

Sweat flowed profusely from their faces, and audible breaths resonated amidst the noisy cheers of the audience. They continued to spin, swinging their weapons in opposing movements. The arena showcased their courage and perseverance.

At one point, the giant man seized an opportunity, pushing Xavier backward with his strength. Xavier leaped backward to avoid the fierce attack launched by his opponent. In that precise moment, Xavier spotted an opening he could exploit. Without wasting the opportunity, Xavier threw a powerful punch. Unfortunately, his opponent adeptly blocked the strike.

Xavier felt the vibration from the clash of his hand and the opponent's sword. His eyes focused, and his heart pounded. He racked his brain to alter his strategy, knowing that victory or defeat depended on every move he made. Stepping back, Xavier created some distance, buying time to formulate a strategy in his mind.

Amidst the tumultuous fight, Xavier accidentally glimpsed a familiar figure among the spectators. Cassius sat among the honored seats, wearing a thin smile. Their gazes met, reminding him of the agreement between them. It ignited Xavier's fighting spirit to promptly conclude the battle.

With a lightning-fast movement, Xavier changed direction to draw his opponent's attention. The giant man charged towards him, swinging his sword with determination to end the fight. However, Xavier skillfully evaded and ran to a more open area of the arena.

"Xavier! Xavier!" the audience shouted with enthusiasm. The cheers from his supporters provided encouragement to the time traveler, resonating throughout the arena. Xavier glanced briefly at Cassius, who appeared confident in him.

The show was not over. Xavier, staring sharply at his still formidable opponent, who continued to try every means to conquer him. Without giving his adversary a chance to react, with his bionic leg, Xavier leaped high and then swiftly dove towards his opponent. The big man raised both hands to block Xavier's attack. However, Xavier had anticipated all of this.

"You let your guard down," Xavier grinned, taking advantage of his opponent's exposed defense.

His hand swung and struck the big man's chin from below. The attack was so quick and unexpected that the giant stumbled and fell to the ground. Suddenly, the earlier cheers turned into silence. The eyes of the audience were fixed on Xavier's fallen opponent, as well as on Xavier himself.

For a few moments, they waited, but the big man did not rise. Eventually, Emperor Julius stood up, raising his hand. The arena roared again with the shouts of the audience, marking the end of the battle won by Xavier.

Xavier turned and walked out of the arena with a steady gaze, leaving an indelible impression on the gladiator fight. However, his mission was far from over.

Meanwhile, John, having traversed time, found himself in a peculiar place. He was surprised to discover that he wasn't in the intended time. His gaze wandered, revealing chaos around him. Ancient buildings with beautiful architecture formed the backdrop, but the scene was far from pleasant. People from various social classes gathered in the streets, shouting words of rebellion.

The words "La révolution" waved on flags and city walls, providing a revolutionary atmosphere in every corner. John felt the vibrations of the spirit of change echoing in every street. He witnessed hope for freedom clashing with the tyranny of rulers attempting to maintain their dominance. It was a dark period etched into the history of the land nicknamed "L'Hexagone."

"French Revolution," John murmured, realizing the era he was in. He glanced briefly at his watch, wearing a puzzled expression.

John wondered why he was in that era when he should have jumped to his time. The time leaps continued to transport him to different eras, perplexing him. Moreover, Gertrude's watch, with more advanced technology than his, failed to bring him to the correct time. Frustrated, he couldn't comprehend the reason behind these temporal misalignments.

Unfortunately, no matter how hard John searched for answers amidst the tumult of the French Revolution, the truth seemed to hide behind the changing shadows of history. Now, amid the hustle and bustle of the streets filled with revolutionary fervor, John felt himself swaying in uncertainty, as if he were part of an uncontrollable timeline that played with him.

In the search for answers amidst the tumult of the French Revolution, the truth seemed to be like smoke continually wafting in the burning air. Although John's gaze explored every corner of the city filled with crowds united in the spirit of revolution, he realized that piecing together fragments of the past was not as straightforward as solving the puzzle of his existence in that time. As if every step he took became part of a complex and unpredictable narrative, where the truth slipped between the ever-changing moments.

Still puzzled, something suddenly pulled him into darkness. John jolted, finding a young child in front of him. "Hey, why did you bring me he—"

Before John could finish his sentence, the child placed a finger on his lips.

"Be quiet," the child whispered.