9. The Battle of the Three Time Travellers

"Your time's up, John," Xavier threatened, aiming his gun at John. He pulled the trigger, but the gun didn't fire. It malfunctioned. In confusion, Xavier repeatedly pulled the trigger, but the laser gun remained silent. Xavier realized too late that his laser energy had been drained during his battle with the T-Rex. "Damn it."

At this crucial moment, Nina saw an opportunity and immediately pointed her gun at Xavier. She held the gun firmly, glaring at Xavier with menace. "Let us go."

Xavier scoffed. "You think a pointed gun scares me? If I didn't need you to survive in this pre-historic era, I would have finished you off earlier."

"Nonsense!" Nina fired a shot, but Xavier evaded, dodging the lethal energy flash, then swiftly closed the gap.

With incredible speed, Xavier deflected Nina's gun, sending it hurtling into the abyss. His bionic hand lunged towards Nina, aiming to catch her. Before he could do so, John moved in with a swift kick from the side. Xavier dodged with an incredible acrobatic manoeuvre, and simultaneously tripped John with a swift leg sweep.

Xavier showed no mercy, launching a relentless assault on as he tried to get to his feet. At the same time, Nina didn't stand still. She leapt onto Xavier's back with incredible agility, and attempted to strangle him. However, all attempts were in vain. With his mechanical strength, Xavier twisted his body quickly, throwing Nina off his back and slamming her to the ground.

The battle between the three time travellers was fast-paced and action-packed. Time seemed to slow down, and despite being outnumbered, Xavier remained on top due to his strength and agility. John and Nina were almost at their wit's end, but their resolve was unwavering. Now they were in front of Xavier, staring at the half-machine man a few metres ahead.

Nina tried to catch her breath as she glanced at John, then whispered, "It's useless to face him, we'd better run away."

John nodded, his gaze fixed on the approaching Xavier. "I'll distract him. When I give the signal, run immediately. I'll catch up soon."

Their hearts raced in sync with Xavier's determined steps, his calm and steady approach reflecting his resolve to conquer them. The air was tense, filled with threat and uncertainty.

Nina pressed her lips tightly together, attempting to calm her frayed nerves. She could feel adrenaline surging through her body, creating a powerful thumping in her chest. Meanwhile, John crouched slightly, his eyes focused on every move Xavier made.

As Xavier drew nearer, his deliberate steps conveying his sense of victory, John executed a brilliant plan. In an instant, he sprang into action. He jumped forward, picked up a handful of dirt, and threw it at Xavier's face.

"Now!" John shouted, turning and sprinting.

Nina had already started running ahead, weaving between the trees, her quick and agile steps dodging the wild roots sticking out of the ground. John followed close behind, not too far away. Meanwhile, Xavier shook his hands rapidly, trying to clear away the dust that blocked his vision. As the dust gradually cleared, Xavier's gaze fell on John and Nina who were a few steps ahead. Without hesitation, he quickly chased after them with incredible speed.

John glanced backward, seeing Xavier closing in. "Nina! He's getting closer!"

"I know, Jo-" Nina's words were cut off as a Pterodactyl swooped down, snatching her.

"Nina!" John shouted, surprised to see the prehistoric bird carrying Nina.

John quickly formulated his next move. His eyes scanned the surroundings, searching for something to rescue Nina. Amidst the panic, his attention landed on a sizeable tree branch extending to their left.

Without hesitation, John made a decision. He rushed toward the branch, each step quicker than the last. Once there, he swiftly gauged the distance and angle, assessing the Pterodactyl's movement and position from where he was.

When that moment came, John took a deep breath, then with full force, he jumped and grabbed the branch. His body spun once, providing an extra push to jump higher and farther. The air whizzed around him, as if time had slowed. With almost calculated precision, John darted towards the low-flying Pterodactyl whose claws gripped Nina. Both of John's hands stretched out, fingers reaching for the fast-moving target.

In an instant, John managed to grasp the Pterodactyl's leg. His sweat-drenched body trembled as his effort bore fruit. He felt the weight as he fought gravity's pull, but his strong determination kept him from releasing his grip on the Pterodactyl's leg.

John looked at Nina, smiling slightly. "My actions weren't to save you, but I couldn't go home without your device."

Behind those words, John's true motive was different. Despite their ended relationship, he still cared deeply for Nina. However, Nina put more trust in his initial statement.

"Whatever! Just help me get rid of this damn bird!" Nina snapped.

Instead of giving an immediate response, John looked back and saw Xavier still in pursuit. "I think for now, I'd rather feel like Superman for a while than be destroyed by that machine-man."

"You're nuts!" Nina cursed in annoyance.

Meanwhile, Xavier, unwilling to lose his quarry, harnessed the power within his body, compelling his muscles to respond to his instincts. With swift and agile movements, he maneuvered through the dense forest. A light mist started to envelop the surroundings, intensifying the tension of the scene. With a watchful eye, he tracked John and Nina, observing their path.

When the opportunity finally came, Xavier felt a surge of adrenaline. Without hesitation, he quickened his pace, his bionic legs hitting the ground and giving him an extra boost. In an instant, he darted forwards, his muscles moving in perfect synergy, propelling him in a powerful and distant leap.

As Xavier approached, with quick reflexes, his bionic hand grabbed John's leg. The grip was strong and unyielding. Xavier felt the powerful vibrations of the Pterodactyl's wing movements as it tried to free itself from the weight on its leg.

"Shit!" John stamped one foot, trying to make Xavier release his grip. But his efforts were in vain; Xavier's hold only tightened.

At that moment, Nina shouted, "Look!"

John and Xavier looked straight, their eyes locked on the towering rock hill in front of them. They knew that in an instant, the Pterodactyl would throw them against the rock wall without mercy.