11. Gertrude Jones

John's brow furrowed as he tried to remember the name. John, was not a quiet person, as he knew many of his military friends. Moreover, the latest time machine made by DST, no one had ever used it except him and Nina. Moreover, they only used a time machine that could only go back in time ten years. Besides, he wouldn't forget that he once knew a beautiful woman like Gertrude Jones, but that name wasn't in his memory at all.

"Don't pretend to forget me after hearing my name! You all know who I am! I'm quite famous!" Gertrude chuckled. "It doesn't feel good chatting here. Come on, follow me!"

John walked after Gertrude. Along the way, more than ten people greeted Gertrude. It seemed that she was quite popular there, and it was possible that they had known Gertrude for a long time, or perhaps it was because of her friendly and sociable nature that she quickly got along with everyone. However, Gertrude's familiarity seemed excessive.

"Why aren't you worried about inviting a stranger like me into your home? Are there other people living with you that you are not afraid of me?" John asked, wondering.

"I live alone, but why should I be afraid of you? Geez, you really pretend you don't know me." Gertrude chuckled. "After all, you really do look like someone I know, precisely through the device."

"Really?" John raised one eyebrow.

Gertrude nodded, as she stopped in front of a small house. "Here we are."

After Gertrude opened the door, they entered the room. John looked around the room. John, who lived thousands of years in a future full of advanced technology, was mesmerised by the simplicity and exoticism of the tiny house.

The dim light that entered the small room through the slightly tilted wooden window-because the hinges were broken-highlighted the corner of the room. The room was the heart of Gertrude's home. The floor was made of flooring that had been used over the years, and the slight cracks showed the inevitable traces of time.

On the other side, a simple fireplace with a brick hearth provided a source of warmth. Above the fireplace, iron cookware hung ready to be used for preparing simple dishes from that era. One of the room's walls was adorned with precious objects: a hand-painted painting with faded colors depicted a beautiful countryside scene. A plain wooden shelf held a few well-worn books.

In another corner, a small wooden table with two chairs around it awaited daily activities. On the table, there was a partially consumed glass of red wine and a fresh piece of bread. These were simple signs of life but filled with enjoyment.

In the room, a sense of peace and tranquility enveloped every corner. The sound of trickling water from the well outside the window reminded the inhabitants of the simple source of their life. The room was where warm stories of life in that century unfolded.

Looking at a life vastly different from the future, John's curiosity was piqued. "At first, I thought you came from the future because of what you said earlier. But if you are from the future, why would you choose to live in a place ... ehrm, seems so manually operated like this?"

Gertrude smiled briefly. "Wait, I'll show you something."

Gertrude entered another room, and shortly thereafter, she returned holding something in her hand. At first glance, John saw the object as a device from the future, but he had never seen anything like it in his time.

"What do you want to show me?" John asked, curious.

Gertrude reached out, presenting a round, silvery object. "This is proof that I'm from the future, and you're still pretending not to recognize me?"

"I genuinely don't remember ever seeing you in the future. And as for that object, well, it does seem different from the other objects in this room. But I'm still not convinced," John replied.

"What if you take a look at this?" Gertrude pressed the hologram button on her device, shortly after, a three-dimensional hologram of a man appeared.

The hologram spun slowly in place until John could see the figure formed by the hologram, which left him astonished. The figure bore a striking resemblance to him but had long hair, a mustache, and a beard.

"Who is this person?" John gasped, in disbelief.

Gertrude didn't answer immediately, gazing longingly at the hologram. "He is someone who is missed by the woman who is the reason I live here."

John looked at Gertrude intently, as if trying to read the thoughts reflected on her face. Although he didn't get the answer, it was clear that Gertrude had a deep story behind her cheerfulness. Time seemed to stand still for a moment, as John waited for Gertrude to speak.

The answer, that's what John had been waiting for, much like Xavier, who awaited answers to his unfortunate fate from a period further back in time. Xavier discovered that his fate still spun within the currents of time, presenting new unexpected challenges before him.

His encounter with the Roman soldier had led him into an even worse situation. Now, he found himself in a dark and stuffy room, a place that was supposed to be a rat's nest. In truth, it was easy for him to escape this situation, but he didn't want to invite more trouble that could potentially thwart his mission to find the "Time Gate," Nina.

Xavier had been there for hours. Although footsteps were audible, they seemed to belong to mere patrolling soldiers outside, indicating that he was under tight surveillance. Xavier was in a holding cell that made him feel neglected, as if trapped in an endless void of time. However, it appeared that the situation was about to change shortly when he heard footsteps approaching the door, finally coming to a halt in front of the room.

Shortly after, the sound of key being turned outside the iron door could be heard. Xavier's eyes focused straight ahead as the door slowly opened. Moonlight cast a shadow of a figure before Xavier; the silhouette of a big man stood at the threshold.

As the man's steps drew closer, tension filled every fiber of Xavier's being, mingling with a growing sense of curiosity. Questions whirled through his mind rapidly: who was this man? What was their purpose in coming to see him?

These questions would soon be answered as the man stood before him. Xavier looked up to see the black-robed man. It was just a fleeting glance, but his intuition told him that this man had come to bring trouble.

"Who are you, and what is your purpose?" Xavier heightened his vigilance.

"I bring you good news," the person in the black-robed replied hoarsely and lowly.

Gertrude Jones will be a spin-off of Titor.