4. The Chase

Xavier pulled the trigger, launching a lightning-fast laser at John. John relied on his instincts and managed to dodge while accidentally bumping into Xavier, causing him to fall. Seizing the opportunity, Xavier immediately began hitting John repeatedly.

"Let me torture you before ending your life!" Xavier chuckled, enjoying the sensation of destroying his opponent.

John quickly thought of a way to overcome Xavier. "Looking at your strength, I know your body is partly made of machines, and I know how to defeat you!"

John's boast managed to take Xavier by surprise for a second, which was enough for John to trip Xavier's legs. He didn't waste the chance and ran to the door.

"Do you think you can run away from me?" Xavier shouted angrily.

Xavier ran after John, shooting at him. However, John skillfully dodged all the attacks and entered the door. He quickly swiped the holographic watch to locate the IBM 5100.

"Shit! The signal is weak!" John activated the communication and immediately contacted the control room.

"What's wrong, Idiot?" asked Nina on the other end of the line.

"Nina, tell me the location of the computer!" exclaimed John.

"Just look at the wa—"

"The signal is weak! Hurry up! I don't have much time! There's someone after me!" John interrupted Nina.

"Okay! Okay! Calm down! Mmm..., 30th-floor room 310! Now tell me who is chasing you?" asked Nina, worried.

"Thanks!" John hung up without answering Nina.

John looked around until he saw the number "30" above a metal door. He hurriedly entered through that door and continued running down the corridor, checking every room number he passed.

John muttered, "Where is that room? 301, 302 ..., 308 ..., ah, over there!"

John arrived at the end of the corridor and entered room 310. He searched every computer there, trying to find an IBM 5100 computer. Luckily, John still remembered the shape of the computer that Dwight showed him. He approached one of the computers, then read the instructions on the watch. Once he understood, he took out the CPU and removed the motherboard from it. However, when he had just returned the CPU to its place, the door suddenly crashed open, and John turned his head to see Xavier standing there.

Xavier gave John a sharp look. "Now you can't run away from me."

John chuckled. "Well, we'll see."

John pressed the hologram button to take him back to the future, but the button didn't work. In a panic, John pressed it multiple times, but it still didn't respond.

"It seems you're just good at bragging." Xavier felt victorious, as John couldn't escape him. He pointed the gun at John.

Before Xavier could pull the trigger, John jumped and broke through the window, falling freely. He pressed the button on his shoes, propelling him forward until he landed on the street. However, Xavier immediately jumped after him. The sound of the broken window triggered the police sirens, and soon the guards were chasing them. Although John was running fast, Xavier was slowly getting closer.

"Shit!" John immediately contacted the control room. "Help!"

"John, what's—"

"I've taken what we need, but can't go back to the future! Hurry and help me!" John interrupted Nina.

"Impossible!" Nina couldn't believe it.

"Help me—" Suddenly the connection was cut off, making John angry. "Damn!"

John looked back and saw Xavier getting closer. He quickly looked around until he stopped at a motorbike parked on the street. Without thinking, he got on the motorbike.

"How do I use this?" mumbled John, pulling the starter cable and trying to get it started. The motorbike briefly ignited, then died again. "Come on!"

John became increasingly panicked as Xavier closed in. Luckily, after several attempts, the motorbike finally started. John hurriedly revved the engine and sped away. Xavier didn't stand still and took one of the cars parked nearby. The two drove at high speed, attracting the attention of the police. Several police cars and motorbikes chased them.

"Pull over, or we'll have to—"

Before the police could finish, Xavier threw a bomb from the car, destroying one of the police cars, causing other police vehicles to collide.

"Damn it!" cursed John, watching the explosion in the rear-view mirror.

John accelerated, trying to get away from Xavier. However, he suddenly heard Nina's voice coming through the watch.

Nina exclaimed, "John! John! Can you hear me?"

"Your voice is a little off, but I can still hear you. Why isn't all this equipment working as it should?" asked John, annoyed.

"I don't know, but my dad is checking it out. John, you didn't answer me earlier. Who's after you?" asked Nina.

John answered, "I don't know! It's some kind of machine! And he's still chasing me!"

"I'll try to find out who he is," said Nina.

"It doesn't matter! The most important thing is to get me back to the future!" exclaimed John, annoyed.

"Hang on! I'm still trying to normalize your equipment!" said Nina.

John sighed rudely and switched off the connection. "Stupid!"

Suddenly, several police cars drove up and stopped in front of him. The officers pointed their guns at John. He was now sandwiched between Xavier and the police. He quickly thought of a way to escape the threat.

"Stop!" one of the policemen shouted over the loudspeaker.

Instead of stopping, John accelerated, and the policemen opened fire on him. Although he managed to survive, a bullet grazed his arm deeply. John tried to endure the pain and thought of a way to escape. He glanced at the police car in front of him. When he was only one meter away, he pulled the brake, causing him to be ejected from the motorbike and jump over the police car. John landed successfully and immediately ran. The policemen chased and fired at him. Several bullets pierced his arm and shoulder, but John didn't stop running and turned into an alley. No matter how strong John was, the loss of blood began to weaken him. Unfortunately, Xavier stood at the end of the alley.

"Oh, God!" shouted John, breathless.

Xavier looked at the bleeding John and smiled. He knew John was getting weaker, making it easy for him to take his enemy out. Xavier loaded his gun and walked over to John.

"It's not fair that I use a gun. But I'll still finish you off with ..."—Xavier punched John in the solar plexus, knocking him down—"bare hands!"

Punch after punch hit John hard. He couldn't do much as his strength waned. However, right at that moment, Nina's voice came back through the watch.

Nina exclaimed, "John! My dad managed to activate the time machine, but it can only be used manually!"

"Tell me how, or I'll die here! I'm out of blood, and now this madman is beating me! Hurry!" cried John, panicking.

Nina replied, "Press the numbers, in the year 3057!"

"Got it!" John said.

Before John could touch the number "three", Xavier's punch made him press the wrong number. A second later, a vortex appeared in the air that sucked both of them into it.

It wasn't long before they were brought out of the vortex. John and Xavier frowned as they looked around. They were shocked to find themselves in the middle of a forest. This was not the first time they had been in a forest, but this forest was different. The trees and plants around them were larger than they had ever seen. Before their shock subsided, the ground suddenly shook, followed by a sound that made their guts instantly shrink. A giant animal stood up and stared at them intently.

John was shocked. "Oh, my God! A T-rex ...."