15. Alternate Universe

Gertrude glanced around, her face uncomfortable with the situation. "We should talk at my place."

"Isn't your home no longer safe?" John asked.

Gertrude nodded. "I'll prepare for the transition. My father once said that if this time isn't safe, I should move to that time and wait for him there."

After saying so, Gertrude turned and walked towards her house, followed by John from behind. A few minutes later, John and Gertrude arrived at her home. Gertrude hurried to her room, grabbed a bag, and came out to meet John.

"It seems you're ready to leave," John said, looking at Gertrude's belongings.

"No other choice," Gertrude smiled. "Regarding your earlier question. Yes, I could be your child, and on the other hand, maybe not."

John raised an eyebrow. "Can you explain?"

"Between one time and another, they run linearly in their respective points. What we do in the past cannot change events in another time. So, if my father had me from my mother, it doesn't necessarily mean that you from a different time would choose the same woman, making John in each time potentially having a different life path. However, if it turns out you choose the same woman—my mother—then I am also your daughter. In simpler terms, time is a alternate universe," explained Gertrude.

John nodded repeatedly. "Can I know who your mother is?"

Gertrude looked at the empty space sadly for a few seconds before taking a deep breath, as if trying to suppress the waves of sadness she felt. "Emily Jones, a woman who met my father in the 1700s."

John fell silent hearing that name mentioned. He had never known the woman Gertrude referred to. Perhaps, John, who was Gertrude's father, had a different life path with her. However, John felt there was still another untold story.

"Your father said that you and he are fugitives, while in my time, I actually work for them. You also mentioned that you are an agent of Titor X. Can you tell what really happened?" John asked, curious.

Gertrude hesitated, processing her thoughts for a moment. She seemed reluctant to answer that question, but shortly after, she said, "The problem is too complicated to explain, but what I can say is, my father and I stole a government device that could be a catastrophe for the balance of alternate universes."

John didn't understand Gertrude's meaning. He glanced at Gertrude for a moment and saw that Gertrude seemed uncomfortable discussing it further. Although still curious, John decided not to ask again.

"Oh, by the way, I didn't accidentally get thrown into this time without a time machine. I could say I'm unlucky because someone stole it from me. I should return to my time," John said.

Gertrude smiled, reached into her bag, and pulled out a holographic watch. "Take it, it belongs to my mother."

"Are you sure? Doesn't your mother need it?" John asked.

"She doesn't need it anymore." After saying so, Gertrude stood up while nodding to her bag. "Sorry, I can't stay longer here."

John nodded in understanding. "To which time and region do you want to go? Maybe, one day I can visit."

"Let fate bring us together," Gertrude replied, pressing a button on her watch, and shortly after, a time vortex appeared not far from where she stood. "See you again, John."

Gertrude jumped into the time vortex and disappeared from view. John stood looking at the empty space, where a moment ago the time vortex was there. Somehow, John felt that someday they would meet again.

"Well, it's time for me to go back," John muttered, putting on the watch and pressing its button. Shortly after, a time vortex appeared near him.

He stared at the time vortex, thinking about Nina's fate. Although worried about Nina, he knew he had to prioritize his duty. Therefore, he decided to return to his time before finding Nina and bringing her back. John jumped into the swirling vortex that swallowed him into the dimension between times.

Meanwhile, in a different time, Xavier stood facing the open door. His gaze stared straight ahead, seeing the arena filled with spectators cheering his name. The cheers of the spectators wouldn't be heard if he didn't advance to this semi-final round. His name began to be known as the Dark Horse in the gladiator tournament organized by Emperor Julius. However, that wasn't what he was looking for but fulfilling the agreement reached with Cassius. Even so, Cassius didn't know that the agreement he agreed to was actually a mature strategy planned by Xavier to smoothly walk away from that era.

"Hey, enter the arena," the burly officer said, glancing at Xavier.

Xavier nodded, then walked towards the door. Each of his steps was steady, facing the arena of life and death battles. Strong determination was clearly carved in the firm lines of his face, showing not a trace of fear he felt.

As Xavier entered the arena, the cheers of the audience echoed throughout the arena. However, he was not enchanted by the voices that cheered him; his gaze stared straight at a man who was his opponent in this semi-final round. Xavier stopped when he arrived in the middle of the arena. His eyes focused sharply on the big man in front of him.

The man was twice his size. His head was bald, with one eye covered by a black cloth. He wore chainmail armor and fringed pants. One hand of the man gripped a sword, while his other hand held a round shield.

"Are you sure you're not using a weapon?" the man hissed, smiling contemptuously as his gaze swept Xavier from toe to head.

Xavier smiled back, raising his hand. "This is enough to crush all your bones."

In his opponent's eyes, Xavier's confidence seemed ridiculous. However, not for someone who knows that part of Xavier's body is a machine. Certainly not just any machine because those machines are very terrifying destroyers.

Xavier glanced up, looking at the people up there. However, it seemed that he didn't see someone he was looking for there. His gaze swept briefly, and met Cassius's gaze, who was sitting not far from where the Emperor sat. Their gazes only met for a moment but enough to unite their understanding. Xavier shifted his gaze, stopping at Emperor Julius who had stood up from the honor seat. The Emperor raised his hand, giving a signal that the battle had begun.

Simultaneously, Xavier's opponent advanced forward, swinging his sword. Instead of retreating, Xavier remained calm watching the attack come. He clenched his fists, ready to crush the man who was twice his size.