17. Final Gamble

"Why did you bring me to this dark alley?" John asked in French.

Much like Xavier, John navigated through various parts of the world to complete his missions, solidifying his linguistic skills—aside from English. His language proficiency complemented his other abilities as a member of the elite American forces.

The boy whispered in response, "Someone wants to meet you."

John pondered for a moment, feeling puzzled because no one should know him in that era. Nevertheless, driven by curiosity, he decided to follow the boy.

John nodded. "Alright, lead me to him."

The boy turned around. "Come on, follow me."

John and the boy walked through the dark corridor, their steps echoing amidst the whispers of the silent breeze slipping through the cracks in the walls. Despite being in darkness, John could feel the mysterious aura enveloping them, but his courage to uncover the truth grew stronger as they progressed towards the unrevealed destiny. In that uncertainty, John was determined to face whatever awaited at the end of that dark alley, prepared to embrace the answers behind the veiled curtain of mystery.

In a different time, the cold stone seats in the gladiator's chamber became Xavier's resting place, reflecting the exhaustion from the recent semi-final round. In silence, he contemplated, letting the sweat soak his tense body. Despite the fatigue, his gaze held conviction as each battle brought him closer to his goal.

Cassius's mission was the link connecting that time to the faint future within the intricate labyrinth of time. Unaware of what awaited in the final round, Xavier was ready to conquer all obstacles to step forward toward the potential success in the unpredictable journey of time.

At that moment, a guard approached him, handing a piece of papyrus without words. Xavier quickly realized the guard was one of Cassius's man. His brow furrowed as his pupils scanned the written message.

One more step, and if you succeed, you can meet your lover. Ensure everything goes according to our plan and agreement.

Xavier looked at the papyrus seriously, contemplating the word "lover" written on it. For Xavier, Cassius's misunderstanding about the relationship between him and Nina was not important, but what mattered most was how both of them could return to the future. With unwavering determination, he realized that completing Cassius's mission was the only way to get Nina and himself out of that era.

Xavier tore the papyrus swiftly, as if cutting an invisible thread connecting him to the future. He looked towards the arena with determined eyes, soaking in the roar of the spectators, providing him with extra encouragement for the impending final round. In that moment, he felt the weight of the mission grow heavier, but his resolve remained unshaken to face any challenges ahead.

Xavier glanced at the guard who gave him the papyrus, and without words, he stood and walked towards the arena. His hand clenched tightly, his eyes staring straight ahead with unyielding determination. Now, he was ready to face the final round that would determine the fate of Nina and himself to escape from that time.

Arriving in the arena, Xavier's eyes locked onto a man who awaited him. The man had a physique similar to his own. His face wasn't as menacing as Xavier's semi-final opponent, but he exuded a cruelty Xavier had never felt before. Nevertheless, Xavier was not at all intimidated. His battlefield experience extinguished any fear within him.

Xavier glanced upward until his gaze briefly met Cassius's. Just a second, but that look felt like a long conversation between them. Xavier shifted his focus back to his opponent, who had lifted his sword and shield, indicating readiness for the final match.

When Julius Caesar raised his hand, they both charged forward simultaneously. Xavier raised his bionic hand, while his opponent swung his sword. The tension filled the arena as the spectators' cheers seemed to play the drums of war between the two formidable men.

Xavier and his opponent spun in a series of attacks and defenses that captivated the audience. Both engaged in dynamic movements, their swords clashing at Xavier's incredible speed. The cheers of the audience created a background echoing the tension and enthusiasm in the arena.

Xavier showcased his exceptional combat skills, leaping and dodging every attack from his opponent with astonishing speed. However, the man was not a foe to be underestimated. Each sword movement radiated strength and skill, forcing Xavier to stay focused.

The climax of the fight arrived when both clashed in the middle of the arena. In an instant, the opponent's sword thrust towards Xavier, and with quick reflexes, Xavier dodged. Unfortunately, a sudden attack from an unexpected angle made Xavier stagger. Without giving him a chance to catch his breath, the man unleashed a relentless series of attacks on Xavier.

Though Xavier tried to defend himself, the fatigue and tension started to weigh on his body. He managed to counter some attacks, but his opponent narrowed his range of motion. Seeing Xavier cornered, Cassius appeared tense and worried. Nevertheless, the success of his plan relied on Xavier.

After a series of exchanges, the critical moment arrived when Xavier's opponent lunged with remarkable speed. Despite attempting to dodge, the opponent's speed was too difficult for Xavier to anticipate. In an instant, the sword pierced Xavier's chest. Xavier lay on the ground, feeling the impact of the final attack.

Silence enveloped the arena momentarily, as if time itself stopped rotating for a while. The audience, previously lively, fell silent, waiting for Xavier's fate. Would Xavier rise again and surprise everyone, or was this the end of the celebrated warrior? Questions lingered in the minds of the audience.

However, suddenly, one audience stood up, shouting, "He's moving!"

Instantly, the arena erupted, with all eyes on Xavier as he struggled to stand while holding his chest. Apparently, the attack only penetrated the machine part of Xavier's body, sparing him from death.

"I guess I need to get serious." Xavier grinned, staring sharply at his opponent.

Seeing Xavier rise again, the confidence of his opponent wavered. However, his pride quickly suppressed the creeping fear. The man responded to Xavier's gaze with an equally sharp one.

"Don't talk too much, just prove it!" With those words, he swiftly lunged, raising his sword high.