Chapter 12

Austin.

He made his way into the pub and towards the back left corner. My hands were in a tight fist and I was frozen in place knowing how close in vicinity we were. How on earth did he get out? I had made my statement to police a few weeks back and they said they would do the best they could, but because it was his first offense there was a good chance he would get out on probation. It seems that's the way things have gone for this one.

I felt sick to my stomach as he glanced over and saw me. I wanted to run. I felt like prey and tried to hide myself. Tonight was instantly a regret that I would loop in my head for weeks to come. How stupid am I? I had to get out of here and now. I'll call an Uber and meet them up the street.

Seconds later I could see Norman coming to my aide. "Hey, are you okay? I saw asshole." He grumbled under his breath. Norman was sending piercing cold eyes in Austin's direction. "I didn't expect him to show up. I want to leave. I'm sorry-" I started to grab my things off the bar. "Wait- I'll go with you." He said. It was at the same time that all the food came up on the counter. The waitress smiled and asked if we needed anything else. "Yeah, a check and a few boxes. We have something else to attend to." Norman spoke up. He was very short with her  The bartender just went on her way and got the boxes and check. The waitress came back with our boxes a bag and Norman's receipt. I boxed and bagged the food myself all while knowing that Austin was behind me. I swear he was staring at me, but I was too afraid to turn around and look. I want to go over there and yell at him or slap him for how he treated me but I'm so scared of his friends and him.

Norman picked up the bags and held out his hand towards me. "Ready?"

He was asking me to take his hand!

I nodded and jumped down from the barstool. As I extended my hand towards Norman I could see Seth and Ruth in the back giving me thumbs up. No one else from work seemed to notice. But one person for sure did notice, and that was Austin.

Norman seemed to pay no mind to him or anyone as he made his way back out to the truck. He opened my door, got me inside, and shut the door before coming around to his side. He placed all the food between us. Once we started to drive down the road my nerves had settled enough to speak up. "Thanks for food and getting us out of there. I'm sorry I ruined the night." There was more I needed to say but that felt like enough for now. "Please, I was ready to get out of there. We have more fun alone." Norman said looking over at me. He winked before looking back to the road.

My stomach was in knots right now. He was so charming and protective of me. I adored him for saving me tonight and it only made me crush on him harder. "So where are we headed now?" I asked him. "Well, I was going to go back to my house, unless you want to go home?" His eyes were gazing into mine from across the seat. I couldn't resist. "No, I want to go with you," I muttered. Norman smiled and we spent the rest of the drive in silence.

Once we arrived back at his hillside mansion we settled in by changing our clothes. I had to borrow something from Norman again. I had no plans on coming back here tonight, not that I wasn't pleased with how this turned out. He plated up our food from the pub and brought it to the living room where I was scrolling through movies on Amazon. "How's the sweats and tee?" He nodded towards the clothes I was wearing. "They're comfy, oversized, soft," I answered. Norman sat down the food on the coffee table. "I'll grab you something next time I'm in town, I'll have my assistant get your measurements. What to drink?" He asked heading back to the kitchen. My heart melted at Norman wanting to buy me pajamas, but I needed to find out where we stood and what his intentions were. "Soda," I yelled back as my mind was swirling. There were two options in front of me, maybe three. One, Norman and I forget all about this and go back to ignoring each other and just being co-workers. Two, we stay friends, strictly platonic. Or three, I confess my feelings and risk losing a good friend if we don't work out. 

Norman was back with the drinks and I clicked on The Jurassic Park series as background noise. We started eating and watching the movie. Norman checked his phone and answered emails and texts. I had a message from my parents checking in and saying they wanted me to visit soon. I would have to put in vacation time. Some time had passed and we were both snuggled into the corners of the couch. We would glance at each other now and again, but neither of us was making a move. I didn't want to scare him with my over-eagerness. All I wanted right now was some light cuddling. He started to shift himself and leaned towards me. "Wanna smoke?" he reached for the box on the side table where he kept easy-access stuff. He pulled out a vape pen and started puffing. 

He extended it towards me and I accepted. "Go slow, see how you feel. Don't get in your head. Relax." He said and switched the TV over to some music. I took a five-second pull. It tasted like cherry Kool-aid. I coughed hard and felt the warmth creep down my chest.

I immersed myself back into the couch as Norman smoked more. He grabbed a remote off the table and dimmed the lights low to a calming soft yellow. "I know tonight wasn't what you planned, but I had a great time with you tonight." He said gazing into my eyes. I wanted to throw myself at him and cuddle but I was too stoned to make myself move. Norman noticed my overly intoxicated state and placed a cool sheet over me. He got me a bottle of water and white cheddar popcorn to munch on. "This should help. Do you feel okay?" He seemed genuinely concerned. I nodded my head reassuring him, "I feel great. Tonight was amazing."

Norman gave me a sly smile and we resumed the Jurassic Park movies. After a while, Norman began seeping into the couch and was cuddling me from the waist down. I tried to keep my breathing slow and not panic. I'd embarrass myself if I did. Not long after I started to relax and my eyes could no longer keep me awake and we fell asleep on the couch.

******
❤️Comment & Vote!

Thanks ~ InSearchOfFlames 🔥🔥🔥