Chapter 10

As the night went on I let my crazy thoughts simmer down. The night was almost coming to an end and I was still here at Norman's. I was no longer high so I was safe to drive home but I was secretly praying for him to invite me to stay because I didn't want to drive home.

I can't tell you why I do this to myself. I mean, he's my co worker, I can't date him due to my job being at risk. What would people at the office think?

Wait! Oh my god! The people at work would totally look at us with the wrong interpretation. I knew I'd come off as sleeping with him for a promotion. Although sleeping with him would never get me anywhere job wise other than fired and that goes for the both of us.

I glanced down at my phone and yawned. Norman was on the other couch smiling at me. "Ready to go home?" He asked. I shrugged my shoulders, "I mean, yeah, I'm ready." I stood up and headed to the door grabbing my coat along the way. "You can stay here!" Norman piped up. "It's a bit of a drive back to your place... That's if you want to."

I knew the invitation was too tempting to resist and besides this is exactly what I wanted. "Sure." I whispered.

~

The weeks following were jammed packed with chaos. I had been working really hard since Norman gave me that pep talk and adventurous weekend. We haven't spent much time together. Actually we haven't spent any time at all together since then. I guess I kinda figured it to good be true. I don't know what I was thinking when I even began feeling that fake, stupid crush on him. I was probably just high and thinking that I liked him. This is just what I do to myself. Always teasing me myself with socialization and relationships. That's probably the reason I don't have many people.

My email kept going off and I didn't have much time left to finish my work until the magazine cover conference. Norman would be there and that suddenly made a blush rise to my cheeks. I didn't want to be in the same room as him. I mean, was I expected to pretend as if nothing ever happened.

I pressed my knees together, tensing at the thought of seeing him again. His suit fitted to perfection against this toned- Stop!

I growled to myself and stood up with my work to head for the conference room. I stopped by the lounge for a quick coffee.

"So..." I heard behind me. Seth was leaning against the lounge door smiling. He looked around before quickly closing it and locking it. "Spill it? Who is he?" Seth asked. I half choked on my coffee at his question. How could he know that I was crushing? Well not crushing. It's not a crush. It's just... I'm not sure.

"What are you talking about?" I started cleaning up the bit of coffee I spit out. "You've been acting all flushie lately. You look amazing by the way with all the new colors. I can tell!" Seth was shouting at this point. I reached up and out my hand over his mouth. "Why are you yelling?" I hushed him. "I don't like anyone. I need to go or I'm gonna be late." I pushed pass him and rushed to the conference room.

When I entered Norman was already there. He was seated at the far end of the the table. I made my way down and sat somewhere in the middle next to one of our fashion editors. I sat down and began situating my belongings. I looked but briefly and locked eyes with Norman who gave me a light wink.

Or maybe it was just a blink?!

I knew my face was now blood red with nervousness. I can't put my finger on what's going on with me because I can't have a crush on him.

As the meeting started I didn't look up often to avoid locking eyes with Norman again. I spoke up to address my concerns with more provocative women on the front cover and that was all. By the end of the meeting I was a visible mess. I can't believe Norman effects me this way.

"You okay?" I heard behind me as I headed back to my office. Of course the devil himself has something to say. "Yeah," I turned to face him. I had sweat rolling down my forehead and I my hair was a frizzy disaster. "I'm just stressed out with work right now, really working hard." I bragged myself up a bit since I was proud for doing better work. "Yeah, I see that. Good reviews lately. Everything you've pushed through has gotten good ratings. Keep it up." He patted me on the shoulder in a bro-like manner before heading off.

Trembling at his touch I knew right then and there that the wink was all in my head. The reason Norman hasn't been talking to me is so easy to see now. He doesn't see me as anything more than a friend and he made it very obvious to me.

Finally I had made it back to my office. My computer had numerous messages and emails I had to respond to so I took a moment to do so.

One of my messages was a chat box from Norman.

"Going for drinks tonight with some co-workers. Want to come?"

Mixed signals were coming across here. Plus, I hadn't been out since the night of my assault which I'm still dealing with.

My fingers were hovering over the keys as I decided what to say. Norman would be there with me and it would be a group outing so I'd be less likely be attacked again. My heart was about to jump out of my chest as I hit send.

"Okay... Just don't make me regret this."

*****
🍁Comment & Vote
InSearchOfFlames 🔥🔥🔥