Chapter 1

It was just another day in the office. Headquarters was really busy this time of year with all the models, and writers wanting a spot in the magazine. I was dressed in a grey suit. The skirt went to my knees and the jacket was button partially.

I took a seat in my office and called for coffee. I neatly organized my desk. I loved order. I was obsessed with being in control, especially when I was going against someone in my career. Being a magazine editor was hard. It was even worse that I wasn't even in that position yet, I was co-editor. I edited papers that our authors wrote and sent them up to our chief editors. Which is where I wanted to be next.

My goal was to be a publisher, but I had to work my way up. The door opened and Seth, my assistant, walked in with my coffee. "Thank you. You are dismissed." I wasn't much for conversation. I was all work and no play as some said. Seth nodded his head without saying a word, then left. I started on two pieces that I was working on this morning. One on feminist, and the other about transgender teens. Both were popular in society right now. That's all everyone was talking about. I did a read through of both of them and sent them upstairs to the main editor. I thought they were both well written pieces of work, but I'd let them decide. I wrote them myself, and they were great. I hope the big guys upstairs thought so too.

"Harper, the meeting has been moved to two forty five instead of one." I heard over the intercom. It was Ruthann, she was my intern. I pressed the button on my desk a bit irritated that it was changed. "What's wrong this time?" I asked. "Your other co-editor hasn't finished his work." She said. I rolled my eyes. Typical. He shouldn't even be a co-editor if you asked me.

Norman Reedus and I worked together. We've been going head to head for months since we both want the same promotion. I barely talked to him though, I can't stand that idiot. He's the complete opposite of me and gets further than I do. I can stay overtime to make my scripts and stories sound amazing, when he does a few corrections and his gets more attention than mine. It's so unfair.

Since it was getting close to my lunch break I headed to the lounge for a bite to eat. I opened the fridge and grabbed my lunch for the day before sitting down. I was alone and it was quite nice. I took my lunch break after everyone else so I wouldn't get distracted. I didn't talk to many people anyways. I wanted coffee after my lunch and got up to grab a cup. I heard foot steps beside me, I already knew who it was. "Harper." Norman said politely. I didn't say a word. He was so annoying at times and often bothered me at how controlling he was. I was a control freak too, which is why we didn't get along.

"Coffee break?" He asked. Who asks that kind of question. He sees me getting coffee. I went to the next table and put one sugar and two creamer in my coffee. "Our meeting has been pushed two forty five. What's wrong? Can't read a paragraph or two?" I asked him as I turned around. "I got in late." He defended. "Typical." I muttered under my breath. Norman shook his head at me, "what was that?" "Nothing. I have to get back to work, unlike some people." I pushed passed him without saying goodbye.

I got ahead on some of my stories and articles while I had the extra time. Two of these I wrote myself and the others are from our authors downstairs. I glanced at my watch and it was almost time for the meeting. I packed up my things and headed upstairs. I wanted to be early for this one. I've been trying really hard to get that promotion and nothing was going to get in my way. Not even Norman. I was relieved when I got to the conference room and found it empty. I'm a whole twenty minutes early too. I took my seat and smiled. I was totally on the right track to this promotion. I heard the toilet flush from the bathroom. Out came Norman, and he was smirking at me. "I see you finally made it." His snarky comments got under my skin so bad. "How long have you been here?" I asked him and stood up. "I got here about ten minutes ago. I even started the coffee for our guest." Norman gestured towards the coffee pot in the corner of the room.