Chapter 9

Drug Usage Warning!

During the drive over to Norman's I could only think about how relieved I felt when I smoked weed with him and I didn't know if it was just the drugs or if I felt safe around him.

I'm going to blame it on the drugs because Norman and I aren't that close and we don't have very much in common.

As I pulled into the driveway his lights were on inside. I grabbed my bag and made way to the house, nervous yet also relieved to finally be back after such a short distance away.

I tapped on the door twice waiting for a response. I could see Norman making his way down the steps to the door, squinting through the window to see if he could see who it was. When he opened the door I wanted to leap into his arms and hug him but I refrained. I couldn't wait to explain myself and words just spilled out over my lips.

"Hey! Wanna smoke again! I had a shitty evening and I'm sorry." There I was again talking with my hands.

"Hello to you too." Norman smirked and moved out of the doorway so I could come inside. We headed toward the couch and I took a seat as Norman grabbed a box from a bookshelf and came to sit beside me.

"Didn't think you would be back so soon." Norman said as he started to remove items from the box. I nodded, "I started having a panic attack and instantly thought to come here." I chuckled at the end a bit, feeling pathetic even thinking that our friendship, or whatever you wanna call this, was even that serious.

"Panic attack? From what?" He asked. Norman pulled a medium sized container of cannabis out. "I felt like a failure and just... Exploded." My head was hanging now as I tried not to cry again.

"I do damn good at my job even if none of you see it!" I started to get heated and clenched my fist. Norman recognized my frustration and sighed, "Harper, you try. You do. But maybe you're trying to hard. Don't over think things. Just go with the flow. Relax. I know you are a wonderful writer. I know. You just need to show everyone else." Norman said and started to unroll a cigar.

"How do you know?" I snarled and rolled my eyes at him. I leaned back into the sofa, cozying up. "I read all your articles. You're fantastic. It's just not up to me who gets picked for column of the week. Believe me. Plenty of times I thought you deserved it and not me."

Norman took a few more minutes and was finally finished rolling the marijuana. He placed the box and items on the table and sparked up. "This is a blunt." He said inhaling. The sweet aroma of tobacco filled the room along with the stench of cannabis. I took the extended blunt that was in the my face and raised it to my lips.

"This is much harsher." Norman said seconds before I smoked, but it was already too late because I didn't process what he said till after I already inhaled. I tried to control myself but I ended up in a coughing fit and was almost gagging. The warmth started to overcome me and I felt light and airy.

As I fell back onto the sofa the high started to ease my troubled mind. Norman just smiled over at me from the other side of sofa. His gentle smile warmed me in other places but I quickly pushed those thoughts away out of pure disgust. We worked together and there was no way in hell I would risk my job for a relationship that probably won't even amount to much other than friends and co workers.

As the evening went on we continued smoking and talking. I had a cup of hot tea to keep me warm as well.

Norman was so artistic. He showed me paintings and drawings he did in his spare time. He also shared a love for reading and writing the same as I. Norman was so full of ideas and it was no wonder that he was so successful.

Then I began to wonder if he had all this, why didn't he have someone to share it with. He was nice and sweet, a little cocky and dangerous at times, but still a good person. I should just ask him why he chooses to stay single. Although I have chosen the single life as well because I wanted a good career first.

But Norman... I couldn't even imagine why he'd be single, regardless of his sexual preference.

Maybe he was hiding something?

*****
💜Comment & Vote
Thanks ~ InSearchOfFlames 🔥🔥🔥