Chapter 6

10 comments for next update!

It's been a few weeks since the accident. I've been moving on from it pretty well with the help of Lyndsay and some new classes I've been taking. I joined the yoga class down the street. It's twice a week after work and I've come to really enjoy it. I also started to run once a week to try and stay fit since I've done noting but work a desk job for the last few years. I realized how out of shape I was after the attack because I couldn't defend myself. Thank god Norman saved me.

I decided after a few days of moping around my apartment that I didn't want to let the attack impact my life forever, so I took a step of courage and I've really improved. I even see a therapist every now and then.

Things in the job department haven't really improved. I never got a promotion and it's really stressful right now. I started to edit an article about Donald Trump and his border security. I was sipping my chi tea when there was a knock at the door.

"Come in," I said. Ruthann slowly walked in. I noticed her shoes starting to look a bit rough. I didn't mind, but if she doesn't dress properly. The bosses wanted everyone in tip top shape which is why it was such a shocker when I bummed it out the other week. "What's up?" I asked her. Ruthann and I work in the same department so we like to chit chat every now and then. She's basically one of my only friends here. "I got bad news." She choked out. Her face turned red and I could visibly see her sweating. Then all of a sudden she started pacing my office back and forth rambling on and on. "I shouldn't tell you... I was eavesdropping-" I quickly cut her off. "What are you talking about Ruthanne?"

She grabbed my arms when I approached her. "Norman... I heard him talking." She said getting all worked up. "He was talking about-" The moment Ruthann was about to tell me, the door to my office opened and Seth stood there with Norman.

Ruthann let go of my arms and we stepped away from each other a bit. "Uh..." Seth said awkwardly. "Norman wants to speak with you." He said looking between me and Ruthann.

"Oh? He does?" I asked Seth. Norman smirked and kinda chuckled under his breath. "Give us a moment, Seth. Please." Norman looked to Ruthann and she quickly took off behind Seth.

Once the door was shut Norman cleared his throat. "Uhm have a seat please." His voice was low and rough as he spoke. I walked over to my desk, taking a seat ready to hear what he had to say that was so important to interrupt Ruthann and I. Which reminded me, what did she have to tell me?

"We're gonna have to let you go Harper." He said getting straight to the point.

What?

My job... Did he just fire me?

"What the fuck?" I yelled out biting my lip as I tried not to cry. Norman walked towards me, putting his hands out trying to calm me down.

"You're articles aren't doing so good. They wanted to get rid of you...but I begged them to let you have one more shot." He said. I wanted to punch something right now. Why wasn't I ever good enough? Why did he want to keep me here if we argued so much? I walked over to my office window and stared out at the city as rage was fueling inside me.

"Harper, I'm gonna help you." Norman was right behind me. He was so close that I could feel his breath on my ear. "Why?" I asked wiping a tear away. He smiled, "because you have potential and I want to help you bring it out." His voice was very soothing right now and I would love a hug right now.

I turned to face him and sniffled before wiping my eyes once again. "Thank you." I told him, genuinely appreciating that he has tried to help me out. I needed to start stepping up my game or I'd be out of a job.