Setting The Board (Chapter 53)

Welcome to Volume 4.

---------------------------------

Yang turned her head from the window as she heard a soft knock at the door, the sound was so faint, almost hesitant. With a sigh she looked back out the window, a single raven taking flight from the branch, moving away from the house and towards the expansive woods.

Yang: "Come in."

The bedroom door slowly creaked open, Ruby slowly leaning past the door to look inside the room. Looking towards her despondent sister, she stepped inside and over towards the bed fumbling with her hands as she tried to find the right words to say.

Ruby: "Hey Yang... so I just wanted to check that you still didn't want to come with us?" She rubbed the back of her head as Yang didn't respond. "It's a long journey, we would all love the company-"

Yang: "Then why don't you go find Blake?!" She whipped her head around, annoyed. "Or Weiss?! Or why not...!" She cut herself off, the anger quickly fading into more sorrow, rageful red eyes fading to dulled violet. "What's the point? What are you even trying to do?" She sighed, looking back out the window.

Ruby: "We're just trying to help..." She moved closer, reaching out a hand towards her sister.

Yang: "Then go help. I'll be here when you're done." She went quiet again, signalling the conversation was over.

Ruby: "Okay... Bye Yang... I love you..." Ruby dragged her feet as she left, hoping to hear the same words repeated back to her. But there was nought but silence, and after a moment of hanging by the door she closed it.

Yang sighed as she leaned back into her pillows, her eyes slowly drifting down to what was left of her right arm. In the end she just lay down and curled up, forcing herself to sleep.

With Yang's refusal once more, Ruby walked back outside to re-join Pyrrha, Nora, and Ren, all of whom were geared up with bags and their weapons. As the three looked towards her, Ruby managed a smile.

Ruby: "Right. Are we ready to go?" She asked, picking up her own rucksack that she had left with Pyrrha.

Pyrrha: "Yep! All packed and ready." Pyrrha smiled as she pulled on her own rucksack, stuffed to the brim with supplies.

Nora: "This is so exciting! Chasing bad guys across the world! We're like professional Huntsmen! Nono! Superheros!" Nora cheered, striking a heroic pose.

Ren: "It will be nice to revisit Mistral after all this time." He nodded with a small smile seeing Nora's antics.

Ruby: "Well Qrow's last letter said that he is going to visit the Headmaster of Haven, so we have a lot of travelling to do." Ruby sighed slightly recalling the letter.

Pyrrha: "Did you say goodbye to Mr. Xiao Long?" She asked snapping Ruby back to reality.

Ruby: "He's said you can call him Tai y'know. But yea, he wished us luck and told us to stay safe and so on." She waved her hand dismissively.

Pyrrha: "And Yang?" Pyrrha looked concerned and Ruby's smile almost faltered.

Ruby: "She said... to go help people. And that she'll be there when we're back." She walked past the others and began down the road. "Well team, let's go."

Nora: "Speaking of the team, we need to talk about the name-" Nora began, catching up to Ruby.

Ren: "RRNN is not a colour-"

Nora: "But it's better than Team PRR-" A bag hitting her cut off the last syllable as Ren shook his head disapprovingly.

Ruby: "I don't think the name matters all that much." She laughed, shrugging and looking back at Nora.

Pyrrha: "Say's the one whose Team name was their own name." Pyrrha remarked with a slight smirk.