3. Making the Big Move

━━•✩.♡.✩•━━

You made me long for
To be a part of
Something that I can't see
A life that is beyond

– Gathering Stories (Jónsi)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

I was going home. Or the place I'd called my home for the past sixteen years at least.

I wondered how many times I'd walk on these streets again. In this place, I grew up. This was my childhood. After running away, I wouldn't be able to visit it because I'd risk being found. Then the cycle would start again. And even if I wanted to, it was too late to turn back now. I had set my plan in motion. All I had to do was wait and pretend that everything was great.

I could already see the shop when a small cat walked into my sight, making me smile because it took me only a second to recognise it.

"Hello, Star," I greeted the cat and ducked down to pet her. She came closer to me, brushing her body against mine. "Are you hungry?"

She responded with a single meow which I took as a yes.

"Wait here. I'll be right back."

I gently caressed Star one more time and then stood up from my ducking position. Next, I entered the shop where I immediately noticed my mum who was talking to a client and that lucky coincidence saved me from possible questions about where I was while I was going to my bedroom I shared with Leo.

In my room, I instantly approached my cupboard where I had hidden some food for cats. I knew how much my parents hated taking care of pets – especially when they came from the streets – so I learned to hide it from them and not to shove it under their noses. What they didn't see that didn't hurt them. Right when I opened the right drawer, my eyes fell on the old newspaper. It is opened exactly on the page with the article about Lockwood and Co. I was instantly reminded of my plan. Lying next to it was another piece of paper. It was the list with the agencies. I scanned it again and thought about which would be the most ideal, completely forgetting about the cat food. It wasn't news that Fittes or Rotwell would not be an option at all because I knew very well that my family had at least one person on payroll there. And if I were recognised, it would be a ticket straight back here – back to hell. What I needed was an independent agency. One that didn't belong to any of the bigger ones. And the first example of it was Lockwood and Co, even though I doubted they would still have a free position because by the time I'd receive my new papers, many things could change.

I sighed. I knew that it wouldn't be easy. There was still a long way ahead of me.

Small steps, I reminded myself. Small steps matter just as much as the big ones.